Chapter 1

Husks rush towards me as blood pools from my wound along my stomach. I watch as other soldiers turn into cybernetic shells. I grip my pistol closely as it is the only weapon I have left. "Run!" a colonist screams in fear but its to late. Before I can move, I am paralyzed by a Geth trooper. I fall limp to the ground and stare up at Eden Prime's beautiful, clouded sky. I feel cold metal against my skin as a Geth picks me up and places me on a Dragon tooth spike. I scream in pain as I am impaled.

         I jump awake and sigh as I look at my surroundings. I am in my brother's apartment on the Citadel, my body slumps as I try to recover from my nightmare. My team is currently off duty since my family is celebrating my nephews third birthday in a few days. We only just begun the real investigation into Saren and the conduit since the Council granted me a postion as a Spectre the first human in fact. I want to rescue Dr. Liara T'soni as soon as possible but right now I'm trying to relax with my family though, it is difficult with my constant nightmares. I get out of bed and stretch my sore limbs; I get changed into a causal shirt and a pair of jeans. I think the crew is having fun at Chora's Den so I might see what they are up to.

         I arrive at Chora's Den and don't see any familiar faces, though walk to the bar to order a much-needed drink. I look around and my eyes stop at a handsome Drell. I faintly smile at him before I down my drink as I hear footsteps walk towards me. "Hey there sweet thing. What are you doing here all by yourself?" The man asks. "Um... nothing just waiting for a friend." I say lying though I think he can tell. "Let me get you another round sweetheart and see how the night take us." The man says as his arms wrap around me pulling me close to him as he grips my ass. I quickly push him back and biotically slap him in the face leaving a red mark along his cheek. "You little bitch!" He yells as he spits out blood. I can sense the man about to hit me back though before I can react a voice speaks "Back off now." The Drell speaks firmly, he moves to stand in front of me. "And who might you be?" The man speaks. "Her friend." He replies in a calm voice. "Ugh, Screw this." The man replies as he leaves.

          "Are you ok?" The Drell asks concerned. "Yes, thank you...What's your name?" I say as I relax in the man's presence. "Thane. You must be Rebecca. Do people treat you like that often?" He asks as he walks to a table and I follow. "Yes, but not as touchy. They usually go away if I ignore them, or I end up beating the shit out of them." I say giggling as I sit next to him. "Oh, how do you know me? Have we meet before?" I ask as I lean back in my chair. "We haven't meet before though I know a lot about you personally because of my job." Thane replies sighing. I am curious but also concerned. What does he mean? "What is your occupation?" I ask curiously. "I'm a... I'm an assassin or was one. Now I pick up odd jobs that I deem worthy for myself. People who are criminals, warlords, anyone who has a certain... criteria." He says as a waiter passes by with drinks, and he grabs two. Thane hands me one and I smile slightly. "So, I gather you're not after me otherwise you wouldn't have told me that. Though, why are you telling me this?" I ask curiously as I watch him take a swig of his alcoholic beverage.

           "I wouldn't be a good assassin if I were going to murder you. I'm telling you this because I'm in possession of a contract to kill you. It is not an official contract, nothing out right binding me to the employer. He gave several other people the contract since I gave him such a difficult time." Thane replies staring at me. I can tell he notices every little movement I make. "I... Why come to me directly?" I ask curiously. "Because I want you to know that your life is in danger. I want to speak with your father and get his help. I think I can find the other contract holders and the bastard that wants you dead." He says as I take a sip of my drink. I watch Thane's dark black eyes as they dart quickly to my lips, I smile softly as I place my cup on the table. "Well, you have some luck. My father is off duty for the next week so we can meet up as soon as he is able." I reply calmly. "We can discuss this in more detail when we meet up all together. Can I bring you home? I want to make sure that man doesn't follow you." Thane asks as he gets up. "You don't have to; I can make it home myself. Though, if you insist, I would be interested in talking a bit longer." I say as I get up. "I'd like that." He replies.