Chapter Eight

The soldier made his exit to the surface of the planet. For now, the clone in him was winning. When he planted his feet into the dirt for the first time, all of the awe was gone. He felt no emotion toward Etheria.

He and his fellow brothers left the small Speedstinger 4000 plus to travel farther into the woods. A trio of Horde bots were accompanying them. Tree branches reached out to strangle them, but whenever the going got too tough, one of the robots obliterated a few trees.

After a few minutes of walking, they found themselves at the coordinates. The clone took a moment to download all the information he needed. Soon enough, his command popped up in his inner eye and he headed over to the edge of the base.

Hundreds of Horde clones swarmed the clearing. Some were inside machines, digging into the ground. Others were bringing pieces of technology and equipment to the large spire being built in the center of the space. There were a few who were tracing exact runes into the ground with long metal poles. Hordak had been tasked with border patrol.

No remains of the Rebel insertions could know this place existed. Any that were found would face the consequences.

The clone walked around, and continued to process the information that drifted over from the brothers' minds. Horde Prime had found something on Etheria.  Something had helped him research. When he tracked deep enough into the subject, he found that it was the research of a fellow clone.

Me, he realized. When I was here. How long ago or why... not a clue. Somehow I've helped Prime find a way past the First Ones difficulties.

No pride swelled inside him. He was still just another nameless, faceless clone. Still just a soldier.

Horde Prime was planning something big. There was something even bigger under the surface of the planet. Something deep inside was brewing, stirring, waiting to be released. With the help of Hordak's research, he'd figured out how to access that power. He'd figured out how to contain it, to take it for himself.

For now, the machine was well underway. The Heart of Etheria would soon be theirs.

The clone stepped to the edge of the clearing. He was careful not to step on any of the runes carved into the dirt. The sky above was a deep purple and glittered with stars. Black clouds swirled above the spire structure. Even the weather knew that something terrible was about to happen.

He made several perimeter checks. For now, he reported everything was clear. The clone had to make an effort to not think about how all of this was because of him.

Pride brings nothing more than pain, he recited a line from Horde Prime. It clouds your judgement, causing you to fail. It makes you think that you are more than you are, more than a clone. None of which is true.

I am a clone, nothing more. I am a clone...

He froze. His ears perked at the rustle of something in the bushes. He cast his vision to scan the dark forest. Now that he was back with the Hivemind, his senses had automatically heightened.

As quiet as he could, he stalked over to where the noise was made. As soon as he came into view, he saw a figure crouched over a tablet screen. A radio receiver was held over her head. She hummed to herself.

The clone gritted his teeth together. Not so clear after all. 

His dark shadow fell over the figure. She looked up at the Horde clone towering far above her. His lime green eyes glowed in the darkness. A low growl vibrated in his throat.

"Uh oh," she squeaked.

Without further hesitation, the clone threw her against a tree. His elbow was firmly planted to her throat. Neither of them had weapons, but he'd be able to take her out in a heartbeat.

"Who are you?" he demanded. His teeth were bared and his ears laid flat. "What are you doing here?"

The Rebel turned her gaze up to the Horde soldier. Her mouth was sealed shut, not bothering to answer the question. She studied the clone up and down. She blinked her purple eyes.

No, he realized. Magenta. He loosened his grip. There was almost something familiar about her. Something tugged at the edges of his mind, but couldn't quite reach him.

"Why?" he stuttered, "Why do I know your face?"

And how are you alive? He couldn't remember how or why, but this person was supposed to be dead.

She looked equally stunned, as if she had a suspicion that had been right. "Hordak?" she breathed.

Hordak turned away from her, forgetting that she was a Rebel whom needed capturing. "No, do not say that name to me," he pleaded quietly. It has caused me so much pain.

He looked at the turquoise grass and runes beneath him. "I have no name," he stated, mainly for himself.

Unfolding his hand, his eyes settled on the crystal. It shimmered in the starlight. A pressure formed in his chest.  This was her doing.  Somewhere in the darkness of his mind, the memory blossomed.  Entrapta...

He turned back to the Rebel, revealing the pink stone. "What have you done to me?" he whispered softly. His eyes were sad and desperate.

Entrapta met his gaze with a kind magenta one. She smiled sweetly. "You do remember me," she breathed. "I knew you would."

She placed a gloved hand on top of Hordak's. Even through the thick fabric, Hordak could feel the warmth from her hand. They locked gazes. The moment could have only lasted a moment, but he captured it. He couldn't breathe.

Something shattered the silence. A whiny cried form above, and a giant white stallion leapt through the branches.

"Get away from her!" it hollered, shoving a golden horn at Hordak's heart.

Cautiously, Hordak retreated. The stallion flared it's rainbow feathered wings and took Entrapta by the scruff of her shirt.

"Come on, Entrapta," it said through its muffled mouth.

Hordak felt his heart beating faster. No, please don't go. He lifted a hand toward her, but quickly dropped it.

"Go," he said despite himself, clutching the crystal close. His voice threatened to break. "Maybe then these imperfections will leave me."

Maybe now these memories will be gone. Finally, I can put the past behind me. I will be perfect, just like Prime always wanted.

"Remember," she called, "your imperfections are beautiful!"

Hordak stood frozen. His heart squeezed. He'd heard that before.  When he looked up, Entrapta was gone.

He itched to chase after her and the flying horse. He wanted to know what she meant. He still had so many questions, but none of which would be answered.

She thinks imperfection is... beautiful? His mind could barely say it, comprehend it. She thinks that it's okay to be different?

Hordak gripped the crystal so tight the edges dug into his skin. He could have turned her in, but he didn't. He let the Rebel go.

He threw the forest darkness one last glance. The clone turned around and headed back for the clearing. He still had many questions, but he did learn one thing:

None of these memories could ever land in Prime's hands.

He wanted to keep his memories this time, to treasure them. The clone in him was beginning to lose.