Wang Yibo has a new friend

Wang Yibo was not looking forward to being in Xiao Zhan's house. Too many memories, for one. But more importantly, if he felt agitated, how was he supposed to find a safe space to calm down? He couldn't just wander around in someone else's house, and there's only so many bathroom breaks that he can take without arousing suspicion. He pulled at his hair, and went back to WeChat as if the text might have changed or disappeared. It had not, but another text made him smile.

Yang Yu Teng: Yibo didi, how are you? I'm in Beijing this weekend. Wanna grab dinner before I fly back to Taiwan?

Yibo quickly replied to Yu with a "yes!" and was practically joyous as he typed a message to the CQL gang.

Wang Yibo: Hey guys.. I think I'm going to have to bail. A friend is visiting China and he's only going to be available that day and I haven't seen him in years!

Ji Li: O..kay. So bring him along, I guess? Assuming Xiao laoshi is okay with that?

Oh God, why is Ji Li like this? But it wasn't the worst option. It would be good to use Yu as a buffer against the inevitable awkwardness of the 'party' and also give Yu a chance to network with his Chinese peers.

Xiao Zhan: Your friend is our friend, Wang Laoshi! Please bring him along.

Xiao Zhan unclenched his jaw. Who is this friend? Is he the guy from the bar? Or someone else? Like, seriously, who is this guy that Yibo was ready to cancel on his CQL squad for?

And so it happened that on Saturday, Wang Yibo and Yang Yu Teng quietly entered Xiao Zhan's apartment complex through a back entrance, with Yu holding a bottle of wine. It hadn't even occurred to Yibo that he should bring something and he was grateful for Yu-ge's good manners.

As he rang the doorbell to Xiao Zhan's apartment, Yibo wondered if they were late enough. He had deliberately arrived late so that he could have the buffer of other people. It had helped that it took him two hours just to settle on the soft pink hoodie and faded blue jeans that he was wearing, topped with a black baseball cap. He didn't want to dress up for a house party even though he was sure the others would, if only for the photos that they could later post on Weibo.

Yu, however, was dressed as adorably as ever with a white cable-knit sweater over black skinny jeans that were artfully ripped. His black bomber jacket lay draped across his arm as they waited in the warm hallway outside the apartment.

"Yibo!" Yu Bin opened the door, clearly in high spirits already. He was wearing a black button-down with linen trousers which made Yibo inwardly laugh. He looked like a baby pretending to be an adult. He allowed Yu Bin to usher him and Yu in, and hung their coats at the rack tucked behind the doorway.

Yu thanked him for the help as he held on to the bottle of wine, and nervously looked around. Zhan-ge's apartment looked very different, Yibo observed, as opposed to the last time he had been there. The decor had changed from homey to minimalist, much like the homeowner's heart, Yibo couldn't help but think ruefully.

They followed Yu Bin into the living room, where Xuan Lu, Liu Haikuan, Ziyi, Ji Li and Wang Zhuocheng were debating loudly about the merits of Taylor Swift's new album. Well, Zhuocheng was extolling Evermore's virtues while everyone else looked like they wanted him to shut up. As soon as she saw him, Lulu-jie rushed over to hug him, followed by the rest of his friends. As much as he had been dreading this party, it felt so good to be back amongst his friends, their warm hugs and laughs soothing his nerves. He introduced Yu to the gang, and surprisingly, Ji Li was a fan of the Taiwanese show that Yu had starred in. As Ji Li crowded Yu with questions about season 3 of his drama, Yibo sighed as he settled down onto the couch. He had spent hours playing video games with Xiao Zhan on it, and he was glad that it had survived the redecoration.

Yibo smiled at Ziyi as she handed him a beer and sighed again. His nerves had been fraught in anticipation and he already felt so tired. "Where's Zhan-" he started, as the man himself, carrying a hotpot along with Zhu Zanjin, walked into the room. Their eyes met, and fuck. Cliche as it was, it really was like no time had passed.