You Spurn My Natural Emotions

November 12, 2001

Patrick had taken a bus to Chicago after school to hit some stores

Patrick had taken a bus to Chicago after school to hit some stores. He had three records in his backpack and some cassettes that he could record over in his backpack. It was nearly seven o'clock on a Friday night, but the teen didn't feel like staying out. Bored out of his mind, he dipped into some random coffee shop. There were a few tables and a small one was open at the back. He decided on a regular coffee, one cream two sugars and took his seat. After burning his tongue a girl stood on the stage with a guitar. She looked young, maybe college, maybe even in high school. He watched as she awkwardly sat on a stool and adjusted her mic.

"So um, hi. My name is Rainbow Montgomery," She cleared her throat. "Tonight I'm singing a song I wrote called Eric."

"You like control, well I do too take off my clothes and watch me move you can come closer, I'll let you hurt me how you choose"

Patrick looked on as the girl pressed on each string. Her voice was intoxicating. It was powerful and melancholy and soft and warm. He sipped on his drink as he watched the girl.

"Help me with the zipper on my skirt, it's stuck as you kneel I'll be watching you fix me this view of you, of the top of your head,Makes me forgive you but how long, how long can we play this way"

She made sitting on a stool in front of people seem effortless. She appeared as a tiny girl with mousy brown hair. He could tell she was more than that. She seemed to float. As if she wasn't on that stool at all.

"I'm tired, I'm tired of not loving you my heart, my heart wants to hold you but I know, I know, I know the rules blue light, dark room, the white of your teeth as you smile at my trembling shoulders but your skin, did you notice your skin it cries a soft weep like mine"

He felt shivers as her voice grew louder. It felt like pushing your hand into cold water. It rang in his ears in the best way possible.

"I'll sell, I'll sell my heart to you what's my, what's my, what's my price how 'bout, how 'bout just a part of you 'cause I want, I want, I want, I want I want I want I want I want I want"

Something in Patrick's brain thanked him for sitting at the back table. The closest table to the stage. She smiled and bowed her head, taking her leave from the stage. This left him confused, as his band would play a handful of songs when they'd play a gig. He took into account that he was in a band not a solo act and maybe it was different. His coffee sat in front of him, half empty. He watched as the guitar girl packed her guitar into a case. She turned around and noticed him staring. Luckily she didn't take it the wrong way. She winked at him as she stood and shuffled over.

Her eyes grazed over the empty seat in front of Patrick, "This seat taken?"

The boy anxiously shook his head, "No, no. Sit."