3.Secrets Revealed

The cool air of the late night filled her nostrils and gave her a new resolve. They were sitting on the stone steps which led to the temple, waiting for the dawn to break. That had been her idea, one which his friends had supported. Sanjam was a bit better now, thanks to Chamki's knowledge of medicines and Prithvi was a bit relaxed knowing that his friend was no longer in danger. He would still need medical attention but would be able to hold it till they reached Ajmer. She decided to tell the story now, when she still had some courage left and they, the time.

"Tumhari anghooti lekar Maharaj Jaichand ne ek Patra likha hai - tumhare Nanaji ko." She began slowly.

"Par Maharaj Anangapal ko kyun?" Arjun was as confused as the others and Nandini continued after a pause.

"Uss Patra me ye likha hai ki Prithvi ko Dehli ka rajya nahi chahiye, aur wo rajya Maharaj Jaichand ko de diya Jaye. Wo jante hain ki tum faisla Karne ke baad piche nahi hatoge Prithvi. Aur tumhe rokne ka ye upay apnaya unhone."

"Kayaron wala upay dhundha hai unhone," Prithvi was furious at the extent of betrayal by his so called family. "Ajmer se sambandh to Maharaj Jaichand ne hi toda tha, parantu Kannauj ke sath sambandh na rakhne ka mera nirnay uchit hi tha. Aakhir humesha Jaichand mere raaste me kyun aata hai? Iss baar usko jawab dena hi hoga."

Sanyogita closed her eyes as she heard Prithvi formulating his decision. She badly wanted to reach out and stop him from attacking her father and knowing the person that he was, he would listen to her in a heartbeat if she revealed her identity, but the backlash would be severe. He would never accept her. Would she be able to live without him? But if he attacked Jaichand, he would anyways know her truth and the outcome in both the circumstances would be same.

Her tear filled eyes met Chamki's across the steps and the helplessness in them mirrored her own. She was so caught up in her thoughts, that she almost missed his question. She jolted back to reality when he lightly placed his palm on her shoulder.