4. Dehli Calling

It hadn't been difficult to catch up with Rajmata Roopsundari Devi once they had started galloping

It hadn't been difficult to catch up with Rajmata Roopsundari Devi once they had started galloping. Out of deference, Prithvi had asked Nandini to travel with the Dowager Queen in the chariot, not wanting to ruffle any feathers. And though it had taken some time for him to make his mind and heart listen to him, he had gone ahead and bowed to the Queen. The heartfelt blessing though, allayed some of the negative feelings in his heart.

Prithvi had given the wizened woman a patient hearing, listening to her words as she revealed the extent of Jaimall's interference and his effect on her son. She didn't mince words when she spoke about her son, her pain and disappointment shing through her speech and the King of Ajmer felt bad for her.

But now was not the time to fall prey to his emotions, he had to save his grandfather. Leaving Chamki and Sanjam behind with Rajmata and Nandini, Prithvi and his friends galloped away towards Dehli.

They had to crush the rebellion at any cost and save Raja Anangapal Tomar. He could deal with Jaichand later.

~~~~~~○●•●•●○~~~~~~

It wasn't possible to talk freely on the way, not because Sanjam was there with them;but also because both Sanyogita and Roopsundari Devi were worried sick about Maharaj Anangapal Tomar. Sanyogita watched as Sanjam and Chamki rode ahead of them, talking and smiling, as her friend kept a critical eye on Sanjam's health. The princess of Kannauj smiled to herself at the spark between the couple. If anything else, let Chamki have some happiness in her life.

Her grandmother's voice brought her back to present.

"Beti... Kya soch rahi hain aap?"

"Nahi Dadi Maa, kuch bhi to nahi."

"Prithvi ko kuch nahi hoga. Wo bacha lenge apne Nanaji ko. Vishwas rakhiye usspar."

"Prithvi par to hume apne aap se bhi jyada bharosa hai, Dadi Maa. Bharosa nahi hai to apni kismat par."

"Rajputaniyan yun nahi darti, Sanyogita."

"Fir to hum kabhi sachhi rajputani nahi bann payengi, Dadi Maa."

"Humare rehte aisa hoga nahi." A plan was already forming in Rajmata's brain; she would have to wait till she got back to Kannauj."

"Khair, ye bataiye, aapko rath chalana aata hai?"

Sanyogita watched her grandmother manoeuvre the chariot expertly and the horses galloped over the roads without hesitation.

"Ji nahi." She admitted softly.

With a smile, the lady handed over the reins to the princess. "Lijiye, sambhaliye."