5. Deep Conversations

Prithvi wondered about the reason of Roopsundari Devi's sudden desire to meet with him. She had not commanded him, instead she had requested if she could come and visit him in his Chambers. Keeping her age and position in mind, Prithvi had decided to go and meet her on his own.

She stood up from her seat as he entered and he wondered if she would have done the same had the relations between Kannauj and Ajmer had been friendly.

"Aaiye, Ajmer naresh." She invited him in with a small smile and though Prithvi was tight lipped, he still went ahead and touched her feet keeping her age and status in mind.

She carded her hand through his long hair and whispered a heartfelt wish for his long life and victory, then she made him sit next to her on a long stool and wiped the sweat stains from his face.

"Bade dino se nahi dekha aapko. Aaj jee bharke dekhna chahte hain. Kamlavati humesha kehti hain ki aapko dekhkar unke sare dukh dur ho jate hain. Aaj samajh aaya kyun."

Prithvi gave a short smile and looked down. He knew that his mother had kept contact with her sister and he didn't begrudge her that. If the sisters could manage, who was he to put an end to their relationship?

The astute lady that she was, Roopsundari Devi knew instantly that not only Prithvi was aware of the continuing contact between his mother and her, but also that he didn't mind this. She marveled at how different he was from her son, but still decided to probe him a bit.

"Lagta hai aapko pata nahi tha iss bare me."

Prithvi smirked, and then looked straight at her. "Hume pata tha Rajmata."

What Prithvi didn't mention was that he was aware of her probing question and was waiting for her to reveal her cards.

"Fir bhi aap ne kuch nahi kaha?" She wanted to know.

"Maa ko rokna humne zaruri nahi samjha. Wo kuch galat to nahi Kar rahi thi."

"Unhone aapko bataya tha?" She still wanted to know.