Chapter 12

Inside the private room, Shi Luo’s chest was heaving.

Yu Sui stared at Shi Luo with complex look in his eyes. He slowly put down the wine glass.

“Don’t you think this feels like deja vu?”

Shi Luo’s eyes were red, and his voice was unsteady. “In those days…when you found out why I gave you breakfast money, were you stung by your conscience?” 

“The night before you sold me to NSN, when you saw that I had finally opened up to you, did you hesitate a little?”

“After killing Evil 34 times, when you finally found out that it was my new ID, you must have regretted it for a second or two, right?”

Shi Luo tried his best to make himself sound light and casual. He tried his best to suppress the sobs that were threatening to escape from his throat. “I didn’t guess wrong did I? But … Back then, weren’t you pretty good at pretending?”

After Shi Luo joined the FS team, he brought up the old matter about the breakfast money. Yu Sui didn’t reveal even the tiniest bit of shame but from that day on, he never let Shi Luo go hungry in the morning.

“What’s going to happen now?” Shi Luo grabbed onto Yu Sui’s wrists; his eyes full of hatred. “Can’t we treat this as if you never came back? Can’t you pretend that you thought all the other nine glasses were full of alcohol? Obviously nobody else has found out. No one saw through it …just pretend you don’t know; like you never came back to verify. Is that so hard to do? ”

“Yu Shen …” Shi Luo hated how he couldn’t just swallow whole the person in front of him. “Everyone’s already an adult. Hasn’t anyone told you? Discretion is the better part of valor?”

Then I won’t need to be embarrassed, and you won’t need to be condemned by your conscience.

Yu Sui looked at Shi Luo for a long time and holding back his emotions, said, “Shi Luo, this is different from what you told me before I left.” 

“What’s the matter if it is? So what if I lied?” Shi Luo’s voice trembled. “After all, did you keep you word? In the end, didn’t you lie too? I’m curious how you can say such words … Someone like you actually has the nerve to blame others for not keeping their word?”

Yu Sui took a deep breath and after a moment he had calmed down. He took back his hands that Shi Luo held. “Today’s bet doesn’t count.”

Shi Luo’s eyes suddenly widened. “You …”

“About your transfer, I’ll talk to your club about it and go through the normal process.” Yu Sui looked at Shi Luo. “Even if the bet today was real, I won’t let you come to my team without any contract fee.” 

Shi Luo was so angry he laughed. “Do you think IAC will let me go? Do you think you can talk them down?”

Yu Sui has resumed his calm state and said, “Then that’s for me to worry about.”

The punch that had been brewing for so many days finally hit cotton. For a moment, Shi Luo didn’t know what else to say.

Shi Luo tried his best to hold back the tears so as not to make himself look even more pathetic. After a long time of saying nothing, he said, “… I’ll consider the last time I’m played by you. You should treat it as if I had never even been here today.” 

Shi Luo put on his baseball cap and pull the brim down low. He picked up his mobile phone from the table then turned around and left.

By the time he had returned to the IAC base, dawn was breaking over the horizon. Shi Luo did not return directly to the base and turned instead to a breakfast place nearby that opened early.