Chapter 1: The End Of The World

"Jesus I'm tired" said a worker through a yawn, stretching at the same time.

"Have a nap then" replied another one.

"We can do that?" Asked the first.

"Nothing really happens on the night shift anyway" answered the second.

The two workers, who were sat in a portable office looking out the window, were on an excavation site in Egypt. It was about 2 in the morning and they were the only people there at this time, the work couldn't be done when it was too dark like this. Neither of them knew what exactly was being excavated and to be honest, neither of them cared. They would get payed either way. As the first worker that had spoke leaned back in his chair and began to close his eyes, the second guy spotted something move outside the window and close to one of the excavation pits.

"Did you see that?" He asked, leaning closer to the window.

"See what?" Counted the other guy, not bothering to open his eyes.

"I saw something move down there" said the first guy, watching as he saw it another time. "There, right there. There is something down there."

"There isn't anything down there" replied the second, still not opening his eyes.

"I swear I saw something" said the first.

"Alright maybe you did" replied the second. "It can't be a person because there's no way for someone to get into the area and if it's an animal let it do its thing."

"I'm going to go check it out just in case" said the first, getting up and picking up a torch. "I don't want to someone accidentally falling into one of the pits and us getting done for it."

"Sure, you go do that" replied the second guy as the first left the office.

The worker descended into the darkness of the excavation site with his torch being the only light coming from anywhere. As the second guy tried to get to sleep in the office, he kept struggling because his co-worker hadn't come back yet. It had been about 15 minutes and there was no way he was going to fall asleep whilst he was thinking about the other guy possibly stuck in a pit himself. So, he decided to follow him out there. There was only one torch between them both and the first guy had obviously taken it so the second went out with nothing but the clothes on his back and the hard hat on his head.

He took his time walking down the steep slope that led further into the excavation site until he reached the bottom. He walked around for a little bit, calling out to see if anyone responded but no one did. As he turned a corner close by to where all the heavy machinery was, he spotted the torch that the first guy had taken with him. It was on the floor with the glass smashed but the light still working. He picked it up off the floor and inspected it. There was a small amount of blood on the end and some on the ground from where he had picked it up. It was so dark that he could barely see in front of himself unless he pointed the torch in that direction. He stepped forward a few more paces until he accidentally tripped on something. Assuming it was just a cable attached to one of the machines, the man rolled over and pointed the torch at whatever it was.

As soon as the object was illuminated, the man scream with terror. Fear spreading through his body. Lying on the ground at the end of his feet was the body of his co-worker, his head having been completely spun around so that his face was looking behind him. The man started to shuffle away from the body that had blood pouring out of its mouth. He kept going until he kept into contact with something. The pulled himself up the wall behind him and turn a corner to run away. However, just as he rounded the corner, an explosion so big and loud occurred that it knocked him back over onto his back. The entire excavation site was lit up by the explosion and so were four figures that were no stood in front of the worker, all their faces hidden by the bright light behind them. As they all looked at one another and then back to the worker, he started to shuffle away again until one of the people was suddenly behind him instead. As the man looked at the four figures bathed in light, one of them lifted its hand and made a electricity appear within his palm. The worker looked on in wonder right before the figure set the electricity towards him, causing him to scream in pain as his body was set alight. Leaving nothing behind but a flaming body writhing around on the floor.