Chapter 2: Superstition

The next thing Daniel knew, Ciara was crouching over his body as there were more explosions going off behind her. Daniel lifted his hand to his head and it was instantly soaked. Not in water though, in blood and it was coming from his head. He tried to open his mouth to speak but he couldn't get any words out. Ciara had also been injured in the explosion but she had already healed and she knew what she had to do next. Ciara grabbed ahold of Daniel and lifted him into her arms. As she started to speed away from the danger, Daniel looked past her shoulder to see what was happening behind them. Right before he passed out again, Daniel witnessed his other two friends being electrocuted by someone. Their sounds of their screams permanently being etched into his memory.

- • -

Before heading to where the celebration was being held, Max was at his apartment. He didn't spend nearly as much time here as he used to because he'd been living with Mary at her house for quite some time now. So it was usually just Christian and Jade staying there. In fact they're the entire reason Max was there right now. Him, along with Marge and Sun, had been told by Christian to come to the apartment so he could tell them something the Council had said.

"So basically they just want us to keep an eye out for anything that might seem strange or out of place" said Christian.

"Like what?" Asked Marge.

"I don't know" answered Christian. "I'm just repeating what they told me."

"Just anything that might seem like it could be a threat to us in any way" clarified Jade. "Like for instance when that Coven was in town there was all sorts of weird shit going on."

"Oh right" added Sun, not having any idea what Jade was referring to.

"So have they told other people this or is it just us?" Wondered Max.

"Not sure" responded Christian. "They said that we always seemed to be involved somehow so for now I'm just going to assumed it's just us."

"Why are we always involved?" Said Marge.

"Maybe we're cursed" replied Sun.

"Bet it was those witches" said Jade sarcastically, rolling her eyes as well.

"I don't think it was the witches" replied Max. "Plus, if it was, wouldn't the curse be broken after they died?"

"Well whatever it is that always makes us involved, witches or warlocks or whatever the fuck, just keep an eye for it" said Christian, raising his voice slightly out of frustration. "The Council said there were whispers of something going down."

"And we're assuming something bad, not like a party or something?" Asked Max.

"Yes, I assume we're thinking something bad" answered Christian through a sigh, joining Jade in rolling his eyes.

"Just got a text from Max" said Mary, putting her phone back in her pocket and walking over to everyone else. "He's at his apartment with Christian and the others."

Mary, Lu and Jake were all at the caravan park. They had been there for quite a while and they had finished getting everything ready for Daniel's birthday ages ago as well. Mary looked across the room to where Claudia was standing with Christie and the twins and Mary could tell Claudia was getting antsy. Daniel hadn't called or texted anyone for some time and that wasn't like him at all. Especially when there were plans that were specifically for him. Most of them had tried to either text or call him but either no one picked up or no one replied to the messages.

"Where do you think he is?" Asked Lu quietly, not wanting Claudia to worry anymore then she already obviously was.

"No clue" answered Jake. "He's usually with Ciara though so that might be holding him up."