Prologue

Zander sat on the purple staircase, shivering with fear. His parents were fighting once again. In an attempt to block out the racket, the young boy covered his ears and ran upstairs, tripping over his own feet as he did so.

Once he got to the top of the stairs, he felt around for a door handle. Eventually finding one, he opened the door and went to go and find the bed, to which he climbed upon and started to sob into one of the pillows.

Zander's parents had never shouted like this before, at least around him, and he was still getting used to their screaming. He definitely knew there was something wrong, even though he couldn't see them.

Of course, he was sad he didn't have his sight yet but he knew the moment he got with his soulmate, he would be able to see the bright colours he had dreamed about for years. At every chance he got, he would ask his mother lots of questions. What people looked like, what buildings looked like, what colours looked like... everything.

Before his mother met his father, she had been in love with another man. When they got together, that is when they got their sight. The two unfortunately broke up since Zander's mom's boyfriend found someone else, but her sight never went away. She told her son that if he breaks up with his soulmate, he wouldn't lose his sight because... well, nobody knows.

Zander supposed the reason for all the fighting was because his father had found out that his wife had been able to see, even when they hadn't got together. Zander's mom said that he was stupid since he was still blind when they had become a couple.

Zander prayed that him and his soulmate would not end up like his parents every night. He couldn't possibly deal with the heartbreak.

Despite this, he was still excited to find his soulmate, then he wouldn't be blinded by love any longer...