Chapter 2~ First Year

Malia's POV

        "Mom, I promise I'll be fine, it's not like you won't get to visit me," her crystal blue eyes search mine, tears forming. It was my first year at Cornell and my mother couldn't be more worried and protective then she was right now. I spent the whole ride here trying to reassure her that I would call her whenever I had a chance to but she wouldn't buy it. She knew that my dream has always been to go to Cornell for writing but she made sure to ask me if I still was one hundred percent sure that I was ready. No matter how many times I said yes she would still ask me, I understood why though. I was an only child and it was hard for her to know that I was leaving, I still remember when I first told her, she was so excited. She took me out to dinner and later sat on our couch watching a bunch of movies until I had fallen asleep around one in the morning. I've never been one for staying up late, I just hate it, why would you do that when you have to get up early?

        "I know honey, I just worry about my little girl, what if something happens and I can't get here right away?" I offer a smile and I see her eyes become more watery, I pull her into me and wrap my arms around her.

        "I'll call you right away if something happens, don't worry about it," she pulls back and nods at me. "And plus, I have Clare here, she'll help me beat up anyone who messes with me," I see her plump lips curve up, I grab my last bag out of the trunk and hear it shut. My mother walks up next to me and stares at the scenery with me. It was so weird to actually be here, it felt like more of a dream.

        "You ready?" My moms voice catches me off guard, I stare at a bunch of new freshman walking around with their parents and I begin feeling nervous.

        "Yeah, I think I am," I take a deep breath and watch as my mother grabs one of my bags and we begin walking. Clare had already text me saying that the dorms here were amazing which made no sense to me because aren't all dorms basically the same? I watch as we walk by a group of guys who were sitting on some steps, one was dressed in all black and had eyeliner around his eyes. Another one had curly brown hair and beautiful green eyes, he sent me a smile and stared at me as I walked by which kind of made me feel uncomfortable. We stop in front of a big building and my mother and I look at each other wide eyed. I take a deep breath and open the door up, this is it, we walk to the elevator and click on the third floor button. The door opens up to a girl and her parents, we step out and allow them in. We make our way down the white hallway and stop in front of my door, I knock on it knowing that Clare was already in there. The black door opens up to a excited Clare, I drop my bags and throw my arms around her.

        "I can't believe we're finally here!" She yells, I laugh and pull back, she moves and my mother and I walk in. The room was pretty nice, it had two beds and a mini fridge along with a flat screen TV, that was probably Clare who brought that in. But anyways, it also had a stand where I could write, thank god, writing on a binder all the time sucks. "Hey Mrs. Winters, how are you?" I turn around.

        "Doing the best I can, look at you two! I remember when you guys use to play hide and seek, now look at you guys. College girls, boys are gonna be all over the two of you," Clare smiles.

        "I'm just focused on getting good grades for now Mrs. Winters, maybe a boy or two would work though," I put my bag down and walk over to my mother.

        "Well I suppose that I should leave now, I got some work to do back home," I see a tear fall down her cheek and I kiss her cheek, pulling her in for a hug.

        "Mom, we'll be fine, I promise, I'll call you everyday to check up on you."

        "I'm so proud of you Malia," she pulls back and kisses my cheek.