Chapter 6

I got up in the morning barely. By miracle, pulled myself together and went to work. Clocked in at 7:54am and got right to work.
Austin showed up just as I was going on my lunch break. He looked so happy to see me, but I couldn't pretend to be happy.
"Hey Alan, are you on break? Can we please talk about yesterday," Austin persisted.
"Austin, I can't talk about this right now. I just wanna enjoy my break and eventually go home. I'll text you later," I said in a huff.
Austin begged, "Come on just talk to me please. 5 minutes and I'll leave. Just please explain what happened."
I was baffled. He doesn't know why I got upset even though Mr. straight guy who tries to kiss me gets a boyfriend.
"5 minutes that's it and you have to leave," I said.
We made our way to a back table and sat down.
"What happened? We were fine yesterday watching Netflix and coming here and the next thing I know you're running out of here not texting me back," he said.
"Ok, being calm about this. Did you kiss me a month ago? Yes or no?" I said.
He hesitated, "Yes, but.."
"So yes," I interrupted. "Then, got upset because I don't kiss you back. Then basically say you're straight then get a boyfriend."
"I thought you didn't like me. I had to move on," he said.
That hurt, but it was true. We barely knew each other and I had no right to be upset he was with someone. So I pushed down my feelings for him and calmly continued.
"You are right. I have clearly misread your signals," and with that I walk away.
As I'm almost back to the front counter I turn around hoping something, anything will happen. He's walking out the door. As I turn around, he was looking almost disappointed and sad.