S E V E N

~chapter seven~
tw: child abuse

Ricky ran his hands through his hair in frustrations he watched some of his teammates miss the simplest shot. "Seriously, what the fuck?" He groaned as he threw his arms up in the air. "Dude, chill," EJ told him but he didn't listen. "How am I supposed to chill? That was literally the most impossible shot to miss, were you even trying?" He asked, turning his head from his best friend to his other teammate. "It was a slip up," Ben said excusing his bad shot. "Well, don't slip up again," Ricky warned annoyedly.

"Now why are you throwing a hissy fit this morning?" EJ questioned, noticing that he was already more worked up than usual and it wasn't even half way through the day. I would usually take him until at least lunch before he started getting angry at everyone and everything around him.

However, Ricky's day had been off to a bad start. Anna was refusing to talk to him which he assumed was because he sent her out of the kitchen the night before. She wouldn't speak, she would only gesture or huff. He didn't handle silent treatment well, it was just annoying. And if one thing was going wrong, he just allowed everything else to go wrong as well. The fact that he was being tortured by doing this habitat research project with the most stubborn and anti social person he'd ever met.

As well as that, he had started thinking about the scholarship he was looking to get into UCLA.

"I'm not throwing a hissy fit, I'm just wondering why half of the people on this team don't give a shit about the scholarship!" He groaned. "Because the scholarship is something that only affects you? No joke, you need to calm down. If you stress about it, it'll never work out," EJ advised.

Going to UCLA was something he'd been dreaming about for who knows how long. But he knew there was no way his Dad would support him, financially or mentally. He was never in the stands at any of his games, he never asked how the team had been performing, he never cared. There was emotional no support from either of his parents. He knew his Dad wouldn't pay for the school fees either because all of their money was spent on him alone, so the scholarship was only option.

"I'm not stressed," he argued. "Yeah you are, that's why you're fucking up your hair," EJ rebuttaled, dragging Ricky's hands away from his head. "The scouts aren't coming to watch you for ages, just relax for once," he reassured. "Relax? What do you mean? I am relaxed, I'm always relaxed," he stated.

Everyone was positive he'd get the offer. There really was no reason for him to stress about it, but he still did. "Okay, huddle up!" Their coach yelled. Each of the players came to the centre of the court to meet their coach who had the playbook in his hand. "I want your full attention for the next while, no goofing off, no distractions-"

Ricky froze on the spot as his cellphone blared out from his backpack. He tried to play it off like it wasn't his because he knew how much coach hated distractions during practice. "Dude, your phone's ringing," Ben told him, which made Ricky glare at him. "Thanks, I had no idea, I appreciate it," he responded sarcastically as he could feel his coach's eyes on him. "Um..should I-"

"Go get it," his coach instructed annoyedly. He dropped his basketball and ran to the stands where his backpack was. "Hello?" He answered quietly as he picked up his phone. "Hey Ricky, it's Theresa," she greeted. "Oh. Hey, what's up?" He asked confusedly. "It's Anna, you have to come get her," she told him.

He immediately started panicking as he listened to his sister's daycare minder through the phone. "Anna? What's wrong with Anna?" He questioned nervously. "I don't know, she was fine but she started looking pale and she's been vomiting for the last like 10 minutes. I think she needs to be taken to the hospital," she explained. "I called home but there was no answer."