T W E N T Y T H R E E

~chapter twenty three~
tw: mentions of suicide

"Mrs. Caswell," Ricky called quietly, pushing open the door to the kitchen carefully. "Hi sweetie," she greeted, scrubbing the dish in her hand. "Hi. Um, I don't think I'm going to school today," he told her. She put the bowl down in the sink, drying her hands with the towel as she turned around to face him. "You're not?"

Something about her aura was comforting but also really really intimidating. She was the most loving and caring lady he'd ever met in his life, but that didn't mean she wasn't scary. She was terrifying when she wanted to be. "Um...no?" He repeated. "And why not?" She asked calmly.

Okay, maybe this will go smoothly.

"I uh, I just feel kind of sick. Not really my best today," he explained. "Aw, you poor thing. Is that why you didn't eat breakfast this morning?" She asked, walking towards him. "Yeah. Yeah, that's definitely why," he nodded. "And is that why you haven't eaten a proper meal for the past like week?"

Okay, so it's not as smooth as I planned.

"Ricky, you haven't been eating," she said bluntly, causing his eyes to widen slightly. "Yes, I have," he scoffed, laughing nervously. "No, sweetie. You haven't. You haven't been eating, you haven't been sleeping, you've barely been talking," she added. "I'm just a bit..off these past few days, but I'm fine," he lied.

He had gotten ready for school this morning, but then it hit him. Tomorrow was the day of the basketball game. The game that he wouldn't be playing in. He really did just want a break for a while. He didn't want to go to the gym and remember that his future was ruined. He didn't want to go into his classes and be reminded that he was failing at yet another thing. He didn't want to see Nini and have his conscience screaming at him and telling him that he can't keep a relationship.

The only thing school was doing was causing him stress and even more anxiety, nothing good came out of it. He was getting tired of it, and he wanted to take a break before he completely lost it.

She shook her head, not believing a word he was saying. "You may be able to fool your best friend, but you can't fool his mom. I'm a mother, Ricky. I pick up on these things," she reminded him. His eyes trailed around the kitchen, not wanting to make eye contact with her.

"How have you been coping?" She questioned. "With everything that's happened? With your sist-"

"I'm fine," he interrupted, as he clearly didn't want to have this conversation. "That's not true," she argued. "Everything that you tell me will be confidential, I won't even tell EJ. Just talk to me, please," she requested. "I am talking to you, I'm telling you that I'm fine," he insisted. "I don't believe that for a second," she replied.

"Well, I wouldn't lie to you. Anyways, I'm going back to bed. Because I'm sick. Thanks," he announced, turning back around to head upstairs. "Stop right there."

Rolling his eyes subtly, he paused before turning around to face Jane again. "Yes?" He responded. "You're not okay. And that concerns me," she stated. "So what's your point?" He asked her. "My point is I think you need professional help. And I'm booking an appointment for a therapist with you tomorrow."

That. Is. A. Big. Fat. No.

"Yeah, no. Sorry, I'm not going to therapy," he refused. "Excuse you?" She responded. "I said..I'm not going to therapy. I don't want to sit in an office with a random person telling them about all my personal problems and the stuff that's gone wrong in my life, that's stupid," he argued with her. "Ricky, this is for your own good. Not up for debate."