VI

AUTHOR

the girl ran as far as she could, trying her best to find her brother or one of her friends.

what eric had told her, broke her heart. she had loved him for a while, yet she was too much of a wuss to toughen up and confess.

now it was too late. he had found someone else he's interested in.

soon, she spotted jacob and hugged him, catching him by surprise. the girl weeped into his shoulder silently.

jacob then realized what was going on, patting her head and stroking it gently.

"what's wrong, jacie?" the boy whispered and shushed her silent cries.

"eric.. " the girl sniffled and broke down even harder. her heart shattered at the thought of his words.

"what did he do?" jacob stroked the girls head. she shuffled in his embrace and proceeded to cry silently.

"you know what? cry it out, don't worry." he reassured his sibling and hugged her tightly.

once she was done crying, she wiped her tears and faced her older brother. "so, you wanna tell me what happened?" he held her shoulders and knitted his brows.

"he likes someone else...haha" sorrow lingered in her voice. her brother couldn't help but frown.

it pained him to see his younger sibling in such a vulnerable state.

but since he was a patient person, he was keeping calm. jacob wanted to talk to eric. but not in a fight type of way.

rather more calmer.

"you know what, i'll talk to him, okay? let's head to class for now. i will make sure that everything's gonna be okay."

after his reassuring words, she hugged him tightly. he pat her back and walked her to class, sitting down in his seat as well.

jieun didn't bother. she used her arms as a pillow, laying her head on top of them and cried silently, falling asleep during the lecture.

jacob checked behind him. his sister had fallen asleep. a smile crept it's way onto his lips. he then turned around, facing the board again.

everyone noticed that jieun had fallen asleep. calling her name multiple times, even making physical contact with her.

nonetheless, she didn't wake up.

the lesson had ended. someone barged in and shook the girl awake hastily.

finally, her eyes fluttered open, slightly glaring at the person who woke her up from her slumber.

"yah! how did you manage to sleep through the lesson?!" the boy exclaimed. it was hyunjae.

"i have my ways, hyunjae."

she got up and threw her things into her backpack. "woah, you're moody today. what's up?" the boy flinched at her bloodshot red eyes.

"none of your business." she scoffed and checked her phone, opening the camera app to see how red her eyes had turned.

"i look like a demon!!" a shrill scream echoed throughout the classroom as she stared at herself through her phone screen.

once again, she didn't bother.

"ji, let's talk about the cause of your demon looking self first before we go and meet the others. 'kay?" jieun nodded at hyunjaes suggestion.

he grabbed her wrist and led her into the schools' backyard. sitting down on a bench, he cupped the girls cheeks and stared in worry.

"remember ji, you're like a sister to me. tell me whatever is on your mind, alright?" she hummed in response and inhaled deeply.

"eric, he seems to like another girl..." appalled, hyunjae widened his eyes and turned the other way, covering his face.

"i wish i would've confessed sooner jae..." tears built up at the corner of her eyes. hyunjae looked at the girl beside her and heaved a deep sigh.

"it's okay, you'll find someone else you'll be interested in. okay jiji? never let your guard down." he wiped her tears away and place a gentle kiss on her forehead.

little did they know, someone was watching them from afar.

~ ♡

"gosh, i feel like an awful brother." jacob pinched his nosebridge while whispering those harsh words to himself.

soon, he left the classroom, fixing the strap on his shoulder and made his way over to the schools basement until he saw,

eric.

he looked over to where the younger was staring and saw as hyunjae placed a soft and gentle kiss ontop of her forehead.

jacob smiled, but snapped out of it and tapped erics shoulder.

his eyes were glossy, tears built up at the corner of his eyes.

"hey, what's going on?" the latter asked, pulling eric away from the garden slowly.

"what the fuck did i do?!?!" eric slapped his forehead and really wished, that it was all just a daydream.

unfortunately, it wasn't.

"what did you do?" jacob curiously asked and faced the boy who was upset.

"i might have screwed up everything and said that i have a crush on another girl..bUT THAT'S NOT EVEN TRUE! I WASN'T THINKING PROPERLY SINCE I WAS PANICKING!"

jacob pinched his nose bridge and laughed. "so you do like her?" he smirked.

eric froze in his spot at the sudden question.

"uh...no why would i haha.."

"eric, you just gave a huge hint." the latter laughed and hit the boys' shoulder.

pursing his lips, eric turned away with a flushed red face. it was visible from jacobs point of view though.

"it's alright though, i'll help you with this," jacob smiled but faced him again. "are you the one sending jieun letters?"

eric tried his best to come up with a lie. but, his brain was sadly empty. so of course, he had to tell the truth.

"yes, but please don't tell anyone." eric begged. "i'm gonna try to tell sunwoo but until i'm ready, keep your mouth zipped, okay?"

he nodded and saw as eric dashed away. the brown-haired stared at the two students sitting on a bench, sighing to himself.

not long after, he walked away and frowned. he was worried for his sister.

"am i a good brother to her?" the sudden question he blurted, had him wondering as well.

until someone spoke from behind.

"of course you are, jacob."