Chapter 7

A/N: Just for clarification if anyone needs it, I’m using Toast as Ghostbur’s nickname for Ghostinnit, mainly because I can’t really imagine some of the more serious characters calling him Toast, but I also do want to in some way stay true to what was confirmed by Tubbo to be Tommyinnit’s name as a ghost. 

Also, I’m not going to do the POV clarifications anymore, because I want to try and have readers figure it out for themselves by reading. Bein’ more professional and stuff.

    “Toast! Toaaaaast! Toast.” I said, poking Toast’s asleep face. He flinched at my touch and rolled over but didn’t wake up. “Ranboo he’s not waking up,” I whispered. “Why are you whispering Ghostbur?” Ranboo asked. “Because I don’t want to wake him up- oh.” I frowned then started to rapidly poke Toast’s arm. “Toast. Toast! Time to wake up!” Toast rolled over onto his back, then his eyes slowly fluttered open. 

    “He looked over at me, then blinked a couple of times before sitting up. “You know, for some reason, I expected to be somewhere else.” He mumbled, but I heard him. He yawned, then swung his legs up so he was sitting criss-cross applesauce, and Ranboo took that as his cue to speak.

“So Ghostinnit, you want to come and tour the server today?” He asked. “I was thinking maybe it could bring back some of your memories as well.” At that, I got up from where I had been squatting next to Toast’s bed. “Oh yeah, I remember that sometimes locations would bring back my memory, Ranboo what a fantastic idea!” I said, spinning around the room, looking for my own memory book to show him. I stopped however when I heard Toast reply.

“Um, sure I think that’d be pretty cool! I- I mean when you first found me I was wandering around here and everything it seemed really interesting in one way or another and I’d love to go back and find out what everything actually is and-” 

“Yay! Let me get some blue and then let’s go!” I exclaimed, unintentionally interrupting his rambling. I flew right through the wall into my storage room and grabbed my blue and stuffed it into my inventory before flying back to see Toast and Ranboo standing next to each other near the door. I smiled widely then floated up to them. “I’ve got everything, Ranboo, lead the way!” Ranboo cracked a small smile then opened up the door and led us out of the sewer. He gestured out to L’manburg once Toast came up. “This is where I live, it’s a nation called L’manburg.” Toast floated over to the edge of the hill where my sewer was on top of and looked at it.

“L’manburg…” he softly repeated. At this point, he was facing away from me so I couldn’t tell you for sure but I could have sworn I saw a single lava tear trail down his face. “Toast, are you OK?” I asked, a little concerned. I was about to give him some blue but remembered right before I offered some. Dang, that’s going to be a hard habit to get rid of. “I- I…” His quiet stutter pulled me out of my thoughts and I quickly refocused on Toast, who was still facing away.

“Why does this place make me feel so happy yet so- so sad?!” He choked out, raising a hand to his mouth, however not before a couple of lava bubbles floated up. I tilted my head, not understanding how you could be happy and sad at the same time. “So nostalgic, yet so regretful? So- so proud yet so betrayed?” Ranboo walked up to him and pulled him into a hug. Toast just stood in his hug for a few seconds before quietly hugging back. 

The mood felt somber. I don’t quite understand what’s going on, but I’m glad Toast is feeling better! Suddenly, I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I turn to see and it’s Quackity! I bet he’d love to come talk! “Hey, Quackity! How are you?!” I shouted to him. He turns to us, and for some reason, his face scrunches up in confusion. “Ghostbur! He hasn’t met Ghostinnit yet, are you sure this is a good idea!?” Ranboo exclaims, breaking out of the hug with Toast. “Oh. I forgot.” I said shortly. 

“Who is that? What’s going on?” Toast asks, slightly standing behind Ranboo. “Don’t worry Toast, it’s just Quackity! He’s really nice, you’ll like him I’m sure!” I told him reassuringly. “HEY MAAAN!” Just then, he arrived at the top of the hill. Toast peeked out from behind Ranboo, taking the new person in with curiosity. I looked back at Quackity who was looking weirdly at Toast. “Quackity! I almost forgot before, you haven’t met Toast yet! Quackity, this is Toast, Toast this is Quackity! You two used to be friends!” I said happily. 

Quackity stared in disbelief at Toast. “I- I…” Quackity trailed off, then looked at Ranboo for some reason. Ranboo nodded, and Quackity turned white as a sheet. “H-Hey… AY MAN! HOW YOU BEEN, MAN?” Quackity shouted in his signature Mexican accent, seemingly having recovered from whatever had just happened. I handed him some blue anyway. “Drugs? That's a straight up nostalgic man. ‘Preciate the drugs.” And although his funny mexican accent stayed, Quackity shot me a grateful look as I handed him it. By the time he stuffed it in his pocket, the translucent crystal had turned a deep navy blue. I wonder why.

“PAHAHA! But anyways, it’s good to see you, Toast. How have you been?” Toast’s face seemed to light up as he fully came out from behind Ranboo. 

“Oh i-it’s been lovely! I’ve been staying in the sewer with Ghostbur, and sometimes Ranboo will drop by.” Quackity looked a little confused at Toast’s way of speaking, before softly smiling at the little ghost “I saw L’manberg today a-and it looked really cool as well, though it did make me a bit sad. I don’t know why though. S-Sorry. But today has been so much fun! And it’s still happening too!! Oh and I met you too today! I’ve now met three whole people! I can hardly  believe it myself, it’s so many! And you also seem like a really nice and funny person so I’m super glad about it. T-though I suppose you actually already know about meeting me, sorry. I was rambling too, uh-” 

Quackity suddenly swept Toast up in a hug, cutting him off. Toast looked surprised, but before he could hug back Quackity pulled away smiling. “You’re great just the way you are, Tommy. Or Toast rather, sorry! I gotta bolt now, but it was great meeting you man! Have a great rest of your day!” and with that, Quackity ran off, leaving a shocked Ghostinnit behind. He looked over at L’manberg once more, before turning back around smiling. “Ranboo, if it’s ok, let’s continue the tour!”

“Oh yes, that’s a wonderful idea Toast!” I but in, happy that everyone’s feeling better. Why were they feeling sad again? Whatever, it doesn’t matter. “Let’s go then!” Ranboo exclaims, grabbing Toast’s hand before walking off with him. “Wait for me!” I shout, bounding after them. Today will be great, I can already tell.

.oOo.

In the shadows, Dream smiled under his mask. He chuckled a little, having by chance stumbled upon and witnessed the entire exchange. “You always have to go and meddle with my plans huh Tommy? Never listening, never quite falling in line. You go and die, then after having to build around that, you have the audacity to come back again?” Dream chuckled again, before having it devolve into hysterical laughter. “Well then, we’ll just have to fix that now won’t we, Tommy?”