fourth chapter

James Everret POV

Last Year (June 2009)

I hate english class.

I don't understand the point of having to take so many classes for a language I already know how to speak. Not to mention all that poetry bullshit. Ms. Evans gave us an assignment where we write a poem that comes from our hearts. Well, the only thing i can think about is sex, alcohol, and cigarettes.

I could write about that, but I don't necessarily have a way with words. I've never been an english person. I understand the need to learn how to read and write and speak, but analyzing literature seems pretty useless for someone like me.

I'm sitting near the middle of the class, my foot tapping in intervals of three before switching from left to right. I glance up at the clock every so often, hoping that the next time I look up, the class would be a few minutes away from hearing the school bell.

As trepidation engulfs me, I decide to put my head down and take a nap, instead of wasting another half an hour wishing I'd dropped out. I really can't tell you why english class bores me so much because I don't understand it myself.

My eyes shut, and soon enough, I'm drifting off to sleep. I expect to see Betty in my dream. We've barely talked these past few days because of what happened in the gym. I'm sure she knows that I saw her dancing with Mr. Dipshit. There's no other reason she'd willingly go up to another person and actually be nice to them.

We're still going to prom together I'm assuming. She has her dress, I have my suit and tie, and I promised to take her. And I keep my promises. Well most of them.

I reach further into my dream, still expecting to see Betty. To be honest I've missed that pretty face of hers. Yet, I don't see a tall, blonde figure stroll towards me, but a shorter brunette one. One with navy blue eyes. Ones I recognize. Along with a face I just can't seem to forget.

Augustine.

I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't been thinking of her recently, or that I'm relatively upset that she's showed up in my english class dream rather than my actual girlfriend. This dream is relatively calmer than the ones I usually have. The ones with Betty in them. This one feels rather serene. It's sunny, we're at the beach. I'm not sure why. She's speaking to me and I can see her lips move, yet I can't hear anything other than the ocean waves crashing against the shore every few seconds. She's looking up at me. Navy blue eyes piercing into my green ones. A smile on her face that makes me uncontrollably shift in my seat because it just shot a feeling of warmth throughout my entire body. She has one of those smiles that lights up an entire room.

She's still speaking to me as we're walking across the shore, our fingers now intertwined and our arms swinging back and forth, the breeze flowing through us helping lift the weight.

Her light green sundress sways in that same breeze as I look her up and down. I wonder why she chose a green sundress.

I'm no longer wearing shoes, and neither is she. Our feet are submerged in the sand and I can feel it between my toes. We get closer to the water before eventually stepping in, submerging our feet into the still coolness. I turn to my side to look at her, and in this moment she looks at peace. Her eyes are closed, her head tilted up, looking into the sun. Her silky, long hair that was tied into a half up-half down when I first met her, is now completely down and cascading down her back. It's flowing in the air from the breeze of the beach.

This feels wrong. Everything about this dream feels so right, but it's so wrong. I'm dedicated to Betty and Betty only. I love her, no one else. The fact that I haven't woken up yet is scaring me.