W̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ U̶p̶ A̶g̶a̶i̶n̶ - Chapter 5

They meet another demon slayer.

Genya, he introduces himself, his eyes look at them with displeasure. Disgust even but she only ignores them. He was taller than both of them. He has a scar on his face and his manner of speaking was rough. He glares at anyone that dares to glance at him.

He has such tall walls around him but his heart is as soft as it will be. A child who had to grow up too fast.

She recalls the Stone Pillar telling her about a slayer who has the Wind Pillar as his brother. He mentions how much the child admires his only family. He tells her how the child was never able to learn Breathing techniques yet still pushing himself past his limits. All to be acknowledged.

'He pushes him away.' She remembers him saying to her. The man then confides to her that the wind pillar simply wishes safety for his brother. He wishes that the two reconciles in the near future. They only have each other.

She didn't think too much of it. She wonders why he would tell her of things that are none of her business.

Watching Yushiro treat his injured arm, she thinks she should've taken a closer look at him. She watches as the wound slowly heal on it's own. The skin closing in together as if someone was stitching it.

It doesn't even leave a scar.

"You're demons...aren't you?" He asks, eyes looking somewhere else.

"Yes, yes we are." She answers.

"How come you can walk in the sun?"

"Hm...do you find us unpleasant young Shinazugawa?" She dodges the question and Yushiro notices. "He shouldn't. We're the ones helping him." He chides.

She giggles and sees Genya's ears turn red. "Shinazugawa? Are you with us? It would be good if you can say something."

"You shouldn't be helping a demon slayer. Who knows, I could've killed you two."

"Brat would it kill you to say thank you to Tamayo-sama!?" Yushiro exclaims while packing up their medical equipment.

"You wouldn't."

Genya finally lifts his head and meets her eyes. "How do you know that?"

"Because we could've done the same."

There was a beat of silence. She continues.

"We could've turned you to our next meal but we didn't. We're not like Kibutsuji...and I mean it when I say that we want that man dead." They stare at each other for a moment.

She finally averts her gaze and stands up. "But I'm sure that's not enough to convince you that we are good. The door is right there, feel free to leave."

Oh but it would be such a waste if he does. His existence and his blood simply existing is one in a billion chance. Hundred of years has passed but no one had the ability same as his.

Tamayo can only imagine her research having breakthrough with just acquiring his blood and getting the chance to analyze it. To see what made him different than others. To see what he's capable of.

She barely managed to contain her excitement.

She witnessed how his eyes turn to black. Fangs growing and his veins appearing. Similar to a genuine demon. His strength doubling and his speed surpassing a normal Slayer. So this was what Himejima meant when he said that Genya has a special ability.

But how did he die again?

"Have you told anyone?"

"No. I'm not planning to. They might kick me out or worse..fucking kill me." The boy answers.