Breath of the Soul

“Shiru-dono...please get some rest, we’ll take care of it–“

“I can’t rest yet! Not yet...I can’t just dump all this work on you and on him.”

We’re demons, good ones, and you know that we don’t get tired...please look after your health, Kagaya is doing fine, think about yourself too...”

It was the same thing he heard every morning and evening since his father had passed. The work doubled, the assignments assigned to slayers became harder and there are times that they don’t come back alive. His mother carried and did all the work there are. Tamayo started to focus on him to fill in the spot and Yushiro had been too insistent on keeping him company all the time.

He was only five. But the Ubuyashiki children have always been more mature and smarter than others. Like those previous leaders before him, he wanted to help. He wanted to lift up sword and fight alongside others. It was not fair that others risk their lives, it wasn’t fair that his only mother spent so many sleepless nights just for all of them to have a peaceful sleep at night. He could help too. If they just let him.

“You’re a kid, enjoy your childhood instead of worrying too much.”

“Kagaya-sama, leave the work to us, we’ll take care of everything”

“My son, I am your mother, it is my responsibility to protect you and make sure that you grow up wonderfully...”

He was only five and he knew he was a child. But he is the head of the family even though that family only consisted of him and his mother. He is the leader of an organization…he is the heir. He is supposed to lead others not watch from afar. He is supposed to be reading about the Corps not books about fairytales. He is supposed to be the one talking to the Hashira when needed not sit next to his mother as they converse about strategies and leaving him out.

He is supposed to protect and save. Not hiding behind trees of Wisteria.

But then, in a way, all of that changed. He didn’t know what had happened, all he knew was that Tamayo, who had a strange glint in her eyes, rushed up to him and hugged him so tight. It was the same hug that his mother had given to him when they first found out about father. But it was warm, she wasn’t crying nor sad. She looked...happy. She wasn’t even letting him go. Did something upset her? Was she overwhelmed like mother? Or maybe...he was just so cute? It was what his mother always says to him whenever one of them hugs him.

“Y-you’re alive…alive…I’ll protect you...”

He didn’t understand what she meant back then. When he only had the mind of a toddler. Since that day, he had heard her multiple times a day, asking for a permission to bring him out to see the slayers training and of course his mother always refused. He always had a spark of happiness in his heart whenever saw at least one slayer training in their estate yard. Their breathing styles are just so beautiful. They looked like they were dancing every time. He wanted to dance along with them. To know how it felt like. His weak body just wouldn’t let him.

He was eavesdropping on one of their conversations when his mother finally agreed.

“As long as Kagaya wants to, I’ll let you two go.”

“Thank you! You won’t regret this!”

“I better not, that’s my son you’re bringing along.”

He was jumping in joy. Literally.

From that day on, he danced. He swayed through the air. He spent his mornings watching the strongest clash swords and spent his nights with a wooden sword. He breathe the air the way he saw them breathe, he walked the earth as if there was a sword on his hip and he stretched out a hand to those lost. He believed that no one should be left out in this world that doesn’t stop for anyone. He believed that none should suffer from the terrors of demons as long as the Corps is around. He believed that a smile can make someone’s day better.