Blue Blood

Merely a few years later…

“OH MY GOD THEY’RE ADORABLE CHILDREN!”

Their guest’s boisterous voice could be heard even from the darkest corners of their abode. Fawning over his children’s little cute bob cut hair, round plum eyes and their small hair pins and their adorable smiles that would make you go ‘Aww’ at the sight of them. Her hand twitches, itching to carry them in her arms and give them all the candies they want—

Oh right it’s just her big sister self trying to come out.

Restraining herself and painfully looks at a different direction, she lowers her voice. “Your children are quite cute Oyakata-sama!”

“Of course they are! Given that they all looked like my wife too.”

He gave her a smile and gestured her to follow him, away from the bundles of joy and down to his office. She noted the change of air. Ah, his office mustn’t have been the most liveliest place. There wasn’t much on the room, everything were organized even. If she had observed longer, she would’ve noticed that most were untouched.

Kagaya sat down, patting away the dust that had settled on the desk table. There we go! its much cleaner now. “Allow me to mention, my child. For not being present to announce you as a new Hashira, as the leader of the Corps, I sincerely apologize.”

“Amane-sama had done a wonderful job of welcoming me! Not to mention I got to meet your children!” She crossed her arms, a habit of hers. “Also, don’t apologize Oyakata-sama, you were doing your duty as an active slayer, I understand.” Her smile was warm. Very comforting to say the least.

“You are a wonderful child,” He let that linger in the air before continuing. “Let’s start off with a mission I’ve been putting off for a while now shall we? By a certain port, years ago demons have infiltrated the peaceful streets and every recorded attack had the same factors.”

Kagaya untangles a ribbon that wrapped around a worn down scroll. He let it flow down smoothly by the table, edges showing age and it curls up by the ends. Simply having a glimpse of the old map had brought back memories he often have as dreams. They weren’t fun, overshadowing his supposed visions. Only if he had moved faster, he would’ve been talking to them with glee, not visiting empty graves.

Only several had survived that Final Selection, merely years ago. He should’ve done more, he knew he can, but none of them had expected that hand demon! He didn’t either! His visions showed him just as when they were decimated to lower numbers. He thought as if he was exaggerating but no mount of words can truly describe how that hell felt like.

I didn’t want this…

With great detail, he could still remember how they had scattered for their lives, he managed to gather all of them in one place, ensuring their survival had they worked together. Well it did work, their cooperation, breathing styles blending each other almost perfectly, they would’ve brought down almost half of the demons if it weren't for that large hand. God it was gigantic, hideous even, (a word he dares not to us to anyone) and he reeked with lust for blood.

All hell went down at that moment.

“Oyakata-sama? Are you alright? You seem to lose focus for a moment,” She smiled, again, “it’s quite alright if we continue this meeting later on. As long as our dear leader gets his rest.” Just moments ago, she had such lively voice. He appreciates the quietness.

But he should do his duty first, no matter what. And there was so much to inform her about. Perhaps she’ll be one who can solve that Port assignment from years ago. He should’ve been the one to.