Fall Here 33: The Verdict

It was surreal, the peace that I had felt in Justin's arms.  I drifted off into a deep sleep, normally my nightmares would start to invade, but the dream I had was different.

I saw the accident scene to my right and to my left I saw Mom, Dad, and Andrew standing as if nothing had happened.  I rushed over to them and hugged them tightly.

"Oh my darling." Regina hummed, finally releasing me.

"Mom!" I exclaimed happily.

"You're doing great kiddo." George chimed in.

I looked down sheepishly, "I hope I'm making you proud."

"We are very proud of you." Regina said.

I looked back up into their eyes, "We are still with you watching over you." Andrew patted my shoulder comfortingly.

"You are?" I asked, through tears.

"Yes dear!  And I must say you guy friend here is the one." Regina engulfed me in another hug.

"He's one of the good ones." George added.

"You are at peace?" I asked.

"Sis, we are at peace." Andrew said.

"We don't have long darling, but we wanted to let you know – don't fear being loved.  You gentleman friend here is a keeper." George said in a fatherly tone.

"We love you." All three said before they turned and started to disappear.

I turned back to my right towards the accident scene and then all I could here was a chiming coming through.

I woke up with a start to the chiming coming from my ringing cell phone to find myself alone   The prosecuting attorney's number had flashed across my screen. "Hello?" I answered groggily.

"The verdict is in. Please meet me at the courthouse in an hour."

"Yeah. Thank you." I answered hanging up the phone.

Nervousness and uncertainty started to fill me as I got up and got ready to leave.  The peace of my dream seemed shattered. There was a knock on the door, just as I had reached for it.  I took a deep breath as I had reached for the door.  I opened it to find Justin on the other with a couple flowers from the garden.  Rylee, Josh, Stacey and Greg stood behind him, "We all got the call and wanted to go with you." Greg said, turning to direct everyone back down the stairs.

We all filtered out of the house to the cars, "SHOT GUN!" Rylee called heading towards the car with Josh.

Josh shook his head, "It's only us silly."

Justin rode with me, Stacey and Greg, while Josh and Rylee followed. The ride to the courthouse was filled with tense silence. As we neared the courthouse, I grabbed Justin's hand and squeezed it tightly.  Justin's other hand fell on top of mine, rubbing circles on the back of it.

Greg saw the anxiety rise in my face as he pulled into the parking spot outside the courthouse. "Take all the time you need." He fathered, getting out of the car.  I nodded taking a few deep breaths and looking to the guy holding my hand.  I felt some calm rush over me and was able to exit the car.

The hallway was filled with the basketball team, the Miller family, and a few reporters.  The Miller family glared my direction as did a few players from the basketball team.  I brushed the feeling off as the oak doors opened and the bailiffs came out to dismiss the reporters.  They only allowed family and the trial attorneys inside the courtroom.  My group and I took up the first row behind the prosecutions side of the partition.

My throat hitched as Cole was brought out in handcuffs and he eyed me as he took his spot at the defense table.

"All Rise!" the bailiff called, pulling me from my very uncomfortable thoughts.  We all stood, the judge came out and we were instructed to be seated.

"In the matter of the State vs. Cole Miller, I have reached a verdict." The judges eyes fixed on Cole. "Mr. Miller will you please rise?" The judge ordered.  Cole and his attorney stood, the defense attorney adjusted his tie and buttoned his suit coat.  "Mr. Miller, you have been brought before my court on some pretty serious charges.  One the charge of Rape in the second degree, I find the defendant – "

My heart was pounding through my ears and it felt like it was going to come through my chest.  I looked side eyed at Justin for his reaction as he pulled me closer to comfort my rushing thought.

"Guilty," the judged seemed to take forever to get the word out.  I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding, tears started to fall. "On the charge of vehicular manslaughter, I find Mr. Miller, guilty."

The defense  side roared with outrage, causing the judge to silence them with the gavel and ordering the bailiff to remove anyone who further disrupts the proceedings. "I will have order in my court." The judge commanded.  The judge's gaze turned to the prosecutor, "Before handing down sentencing, I understand that the victim would like to make a statement."

The prosecutor rose and called me back to the stand. I slowly stood and made my way the stand, still wrapping my head around what just happened. My thoughts took me back to some therapy sessions and what I would say to Cole in this situation if she had the chance.  I pulled out a paper in my pocket as I knew I would need the written word as I wouldn't be able to keep my thoughts straight.

"Ms. Nichol's, I would like to hear what you have to say in your own words." The judges expression was gentle but firm. I shook my head and felt a sense of calm settle in as I locked eyes with Justin for a brief moment before drawing a deep breath.

"Words can not begin to describe the amount of pain I have endured over the past months. I –" I stopped for a moment and drew in another breath, "I was suppose to go to college, discover who I am and what I want from life.  It hasn't been easy as I've had to do this on my own, without guidance from my mom and dad." A tear escaped my eyes and I wiped my nose with a tissue before continuing. " I am not able to see my brother grow up. My parents and brother are only as old as my oldest memories. At the selfish hands of Cole –" bile rose in my throat at the mention of his name, "My innocence was taken, my life has been shaken up and turned upside down.  There have been sleepless nights, night terrors, anxiety attacks – " everything I have listed were negatives, but as the prosecutor said I had to make the judge understand my torment.

As I'm nearing the end of my statement, a sense of courage and strength washed over me, I actually look Cole in the eyes. "I may have been his victim but I will not let him have the power over my happiness and life anymore. I can't forgive you for your actions, may his time served be a constant reminder of actions having consequences.  Thank you." I looked down and folded the paper back up into my hand, I stood from the stand and walked back to my friends.

"Thank you for your candor Ms. Nichols." The judge nodded.  The prosecutor called Greg and Stacey to the stand to make statements and I couldn't be more proud to have them as my support system.

Upon conclusion of the statements, the judge turned back to the defense table and Cole. "Mr. Miller, you have been found guilty of second degree rape and vehicular manslaughter.  I hereby sentence you to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The collective breath on my side of the courtroom was released at once as the defense side was in shock at the outcome.  The bailiff walked over and put Cole back in cuffs and started leading him out of the courtroom.

Mr. Miller stopped at the aisle and looked at me, "We will appeal this decision." He said to me.

"Like hell I will." The defense attorney said. "Find yourself another attorney." He grabbed his belongings and headed out the door.

I bid goodbye to Mr. Miller and walked out with Greg and my support system.  Relieved that my nightmare was over.  I didn't answer any questions from the media.  I took Justin's hands and headed for the car and back to a life I couldn't wait to live.