Chapter 8

These past few weeks, the maids started warming up to Melina. Even Penny felt sorry for her. Everyone believed in her lie and felt sorry for her marrying a man she does not love.

Titus was in the middle of having her join him in his daily supper when a manservant approached him. "Excuse me sir but some people are here to see you" he said.

"I am not expecting any guests. Who is it?"

The man glanced at Melina and decided against announcing the news aloud to him. Instead, he leaned forwarded and exchanged the news through whispers. "What?" replied the Chief.

"Should I let them in sir?"

He nodded.

"Come with me Melina." He took her hand and led her out to greet the guests.

When she turned the corner to enter the room, her feet froze to the ground in shock in the sight of a once dead man before her. She suddenly became mute.

The warrior husband broke the silence first. "I'm sorry to interrupt your meal Chief but my wife some how believes that this man is your, um, her husband." He motioned to Melina.

"Melina is that true?" Titus asked seriously.

She looked to him and said, "He, he is Rhett."

Titus stilled at the stare down between the united couple. He watched as Rhett approached her and hugged her. He watched the man kiss her forehead and tell her how much he misses her. He fought every bone in his body against pounding this man. It took great strength to do so.

Rhett looked towards Titus. "I am sorry I couldn't help myself. I thought she was gone forever. I heard about your marriage, can I please take her back with me?"

Titus looked at Melina. Her eyes were pleading with him to let her go. Begging him to set her free.

"Is this what you want Melina?" asked Titus.

"Yes. Can I – can I please go back home with Rhett? Home to our family?"

"That I cannot say. Under the circumstances that he was taken, he must belong to someone. All who are taken as prisoners are either married off, executed or used for work in the fields. If you go with him, you would stay with him and his owner. I cannot free you from his owner if you go with him." He hoped that she would at least think twice before leaving him.

Fiona did not like the conditions he proposed to her. She worried that she would stay with Titus. She had to do something to avoid this. She held Melina's hands in hers. "Look Melina, I'm sorry for everything I said in the past. But we're like sisters, we fight and argue but we belong to the same community. I found Rhett last night when I was out with my husband. I knew how much he loved you and hearing how you went against the Chief himself stating that you are married made me feel responsible for getting you back together. Go back to your love. Go" Fiona smiled.

"Chief Titus, thank you for your concern these past days. If you would allow me to leave, I would really appreciate it."

He nodded to her and called to the manservant, "Help her get her luggage in their carriage."

"Rhett, Melina, you are welcome to stay with my wife and me. We have a room left that we use to entertain guests. I can talk to your owner and get him to agree to you staying with us whilst working for him."

During these past weeks, Titus have been having supper with her every night. He always checked up on her to make sure she is sleeping and even gifted her a bow and arrow to start back her passion. He took her horseback riding seeing how much she have bonded with the animals. And even though she seemed distant and sad during these events, Melina realised that he has changed his wicked ways towards her.

She thought to herself if it was wise leaving with them, her enemies. But she also worried that he would know she lied if she was to remain. She had to leave. She only mourned because she felt that all of her efforts to escape has been nothing but a waste for she was still not able to return home. If Rhett was alive and she stayed back at the village, she knew she would have dismissed him once the barbarians sailed away. But now, she has to stay with Rhett until who knows how long.