Chapter 25.

"So are you and Colton like dating?" Brooklyn asked me on Monday morning at the office. I smiled shyly and said "Um, I really don't know. We spent a couple of nights together."

"You spent a couple of nights together and I don't know about it?" She questioned me shockingly. I didn't know what to say. So, I just stayed quiet.

"So, how was it?" She asked.

I blushed a little and said "It was wonderful! Colton is a great man."

"Mhh...somebody sounds in love." She told me jokingly which made me realize that I was head over heels in love with Colton Zachary.

"What's next?" She asked nonchalantly.

I gave her a confused look.

"Since you spent a couple of nights together. Are you going to date or it's just going to be friends with benefits?" She asked.

"Er...honestly I do not know. Colton is really not good with expressing his feelings. I think we'll just take things slow." I told her.

"Ooh. Alright. I am happy for you Genesis." She told me that and continued with work.

*****

Tonight Colton will be coming back from his old town. He told me he had to take care of some family issues. Speaking of family, my mom and Brandon are kind of back together which really bothers me. How can she be okay getting back with him after he abandoned us for years? I do not think I'll be able to forgive him.

I went to the kitchen to check out the lasagna I was baking. It was ready and it smelled good. Suddenly there was a knock I rushed to get the door. When I opened it Colton was there. I couldn't help myself, I hugged him so tight.

"Green I can't breathe." He said. I stopped hugging him and he got inside the house.

"How was your trip?" I asked him as he lounged on the couch. He took a deep breath then said "It was okay." I moved close and tried to kiss him but he seemed irked about it.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Green, I am tired! I need to get some rest." He said as he stood up. I thought he was going upstairs to my room but he left and went to his house.

I felt so bad. I was eagerly waiting for him but he seemed like he was not interested in me. I went to my room and curled myself in bed.

*****

A week passed without Colton talking to me. Something troubled him. That trip made him like this and I want to know what happened. I went to his house and knocked several times but there was no response. I was about to leave then the door opened.

He was standing there.

I did not say a word. I just walked into his house and sat in his living room. Few minutes later he followed me.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked.

He just stared at me.

"What happened on your trip?" I asked again.

I took a long sigh.

"Colton, if you need this to work you need to talk to me. Tell me, what's bothering you?"

He sat on the couch, took a deep breath then looked at me.

"Um...you remember the scar on my shoulder?" He asked and I nodded.

"Three years ago I got into an accident. I was driving while drunk. The worst thing was I was not alone in that car Green. I...I was with Nina. She was my girlfriend. She died on the spot and I broke my shoulder." He said with so much pain in his voice.

"Colton...

I didn't know what to say. I pulled him into a tight hug and I could feel he was crying. We hugged for a long time then he said "I went to visit her family. Just seeing them made me remember the whole accident." So, that's the family issue he had to take care of?

"That night we were at a party. She really wanted to drive because she wasn't as drunk as me but I took the keys from her and drove. Then we got into an argument and the next minute we were in an accident. I...I did not even apologize to her Green and she keeps hunting me in my dreams. Ever since the accident I can not close my eyes to sleep without having those nightmares." He told me sadly.

"Colton I am so sorry you're going through all that. Um...did you ever talk to anyone about it? I mean the professionals like psychologists?" I asked him.

"You mean a shrink? I am not crazy Green!" He half yelled.

"I did not say you're crazy. Well, talking to someone professional helps. A psychologist can help you to overcome those terrible nightmares and how to cope with trauma. You should give it a try." I told him politely.

"This is the reason I hate talking to people about my past. I do not want you to feel sorry for me or tell me what to do!" He said harshly.

"I am not telling you what to do. I care about you and I hate seeing you suffering, that's why I said you can seek the professions for help!" I said, this time I was getting annoyed.

"One thing I hate in my life is being told what to do! Do not ever do that again!" He barked.

"Please do not yell at me! I only said that because I care about you." I said.

"Maybe I do not want to be cared for!" He yelled.

I was so hurt by his statement.

"Fine!" I said that and left his house immediately. On my way out I met with Parsley.

"Genesis, are you alright?" She asked.

"Your brother is so fucking annoying!" I said that and walked away.

"Genesis! Wait! Please wait!" She called me but I did not look behind.

I can not deal with such a difficult person. I only said that in order to help him because I love him. I am deeply in love with him.