Tonight

Smoke from the fire ascended in to the air, dissipating as it nearly reached the clouds. The stars shining as bright as the city lights of Nashville. It had been about a week since Aniston came around. She had claimed that she was busy with work, but Brantley knew better than that. She always made time. He couldn't help the nagging feeling at the back of his mind that it had something to do with the other night when he brought her home. He didn't regret it one bit and wished that she didn't either. But her actions were speaking louder than words at the moment. 

Just as Brantley was about to throw another log on the fire, a pair of bright, flashy headlights lit up the field below. He popped his head up to see if he could make out the shape of the vehicle that pulled down the driveway. His curious expresssion turning to a smile that he tried to hide behind his pulled down baseball cap. He had a hard enough time explaining why it took him so long to drop Aniston off the other night. He didn't need the hounding to continue when Amber saw his reaction to her showing up tonight. 

A pair of bare legs hopping out of the white Chevy Tahoe, cowboy boots hitting the ground beneath her. A short summery dress falling around her, landing mid thigh. The floral print soft and feminine. Brantley stood straight up as he watched Aniston walk down the hill carefully, as not to fall on the slick grass. Kolby whistled as he came up next to him. 

"Oooowwwweeee, girl. Can I get yo' number?" Kolby asked, placing his arm around Aniston's neck. 

"Knock it off," she replied, rolling her honey colored eyes. 

Aniston's gaze traveled among the rest of the group, landing on Brantley. She bit her bottom lip, almost hard enough to cause it to bleed. His muscles flexing in his gray Under Armour shirt. Green eyes catching the orange glow of the flames. He took his baseball cap off, replacing it backwards. This small gesture brought Aniston back from her thoughts. 

"Hey, I have your baseball cap from the other night." She whispered low enough that Amber, who was giving the third degree with her eyes, wouldn't hear. 

Kolby raised an eyebrow, looking between the two. He chuckled, letting his imagination run wild. Aniston slapped his hand that was dangling by her shoulder, lifting it back around her neck to free herself. Kolby walked over to Amber, asking if she and Greyson would help him bring down the stuff for s'mores and some more alcohol, trying to buy some time for Brantley and Aniston to finish their conversation. Greyson happily obliged, jogging up toward the garage to grab the Yeti. Amber was reluctant at first, but waltzed over to Brantley and kissed him hard on the lips before following close behind Kolby as they made their way to the house. 

Brantley's eyes followed them before his attention came back to Aniston. "Annie, girl. I think we need to talk about the other...." 

"I'm fine, B. I don't regret what happened, if that is what you are trying to get at." Aniston cut him off, her voice soft and flowy like her dress blowing in the warm breeze that came through.

A smirk crept along Brantley's lips, curling at the ends. He nodded his head in acknowledgement, trying not to get himself too excited and worked up. He stoked the fire with a large black pole, ashes flying up around them. "Staying the night?" 

Aniston sighed, a little surprised. " I thought Amber might be staying seeing as you were proposing to her soon, if you haven't already." 

Brantley stood up straight, his eyes wandering over her body. He looked back up at her, shaking his head. "I was told I couldn't marry her."

"So, what? You're just buying your time right now until when? She forces you to marry her?" Aniston's tone increasing becoming irritated. 

"That's not it at all, Aniston. And you know it. It's more complicated than that. I mean, when are you going to open your eyes and break up with Jake, huh?" Brantley stepped closer to her, his cologne inhabiting every inch. 

"It's not that easy to leave him, Brantley." Tears welling up in her eyes. 

Brantley placed his hands firmly on both of her arms. "But it should be. For Lord's sake, Aniston. He beats the pulp out of you. And I have lost my ever loving patience. Leave him. Tonight. Go pack your shit and bring it here. Stay with me." 

Aniston mulled the idea over in her head. After a few minutes she spoke up, "Then break it off with Amber." Brantley stared at her and nodded his head as if to agree. "Tonight. When she comes back. Break it off with her and I will come back with all of my stuff and stay with you." 

Aniston pulled herself from his grip and headed toward her vehicle parked at the top where the grass met the light gray of the cement driveway. She turned to look over her shoulder at Brantley who was stoic and reserved standing there by the fire. She was going to going to do it. She was going to break it off with Jake.