Oblivious

"CC, I need to tell you something."

You fumble with your fingers nervously, waiting for them to give you the go-ahead.

"What is it?"

You two were sitting on their bed, something you always did after school. You'd go over to their house to play video games, do homework, or just to laugh about stupid stuff that your other friends wouldn't get. The thing was that somewhere along the way, that had all changed.

You couldn't figure out if it was that time they saved you from drowning when you stupidly fell into the deep end of the public pool, the time when they handcrafted a booklet of your favorite memories together, or maybe it was just the fact that ever so often they would look over their shoulder at you and tuck their hair behind their ear slightly in a way that gave you a warm feeling in your stomach. Whichever instance it was, the feelings that you had towards them now had built up to a point that you couldn't contain anymore. And you resented yourself for it.

"Oh god, I don't know how to say this. CC, I- fuck, um."

"Words, (y/n), use your words."

You gulped, "Okay. I've been meaning to tell you this for a while now, really. I just don't want it to ruin our friendship because we've been friends for so long and I couldn't bear it."

Their eyebrows raised and their face carried a worried expression.

"I like you."

The silence in the room grew louder and your heartbeat began to quicken.

That's when you started to cry

and then hyperventilate.

You curled your knees to your chest and buried your head into your arms, rocking back and forth.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

CC lifted your head out of your arms and kissed you.

The world stopped spinning and you felt yourself calm down. The warmth from their hands on the sides of your cheeks flooded through your whole body.

Once they pulled away, they brought you into a hug, holding you closer than they ever had before.

"I like you too, dumbass."