eighteen

⌜ chapter eighteen ⌟

A continuous knock at the door makes Letty get up from her bed and walk over to unlock it so she can see who's there. Reggie was irritating her earlier, so she locked him out of her room. And she's gonna be pissed if it's just him coming back to bug her some more.

But when she opens her bedroom door, it's her younger brother who wordlessly walks past her and into the room. "What are you doing, Shawn?" The brunette questions as he walks into her room and flops down onto her bed.

"My world is ending."

"Oh, really?" She muses.

"Cory's on a date with Lauren." He tells her, and her eyebrows furrow as she shuts her door and turns to face him. All trace of humor is gone as she tries to make sense of what he said.

"Um... I think I'm a little behind here. Hasn't Cory been married to Topanga for the last seventy years?" She asks, and he rolls over so he's laying on his back.

"Haven't you and Eric?" He asks, and she sighs as she walks over to him.

"Why is your world ending, bud?" The older girl asks as she lays down beside him.

"My whole life, I always thought that you and Eric would be together, and Cory and Topanga would be together." He tells her. "But if the most obvious relationships...people who love each other as much as you guys do...don't end up together, what does that say for the rest of us?"

"You mean, what does that say for you and Angela?" She looks at him. "Is that what this is about? You're afraid that you two won't end up together now that you've agreed to take it slow and start off as friends?"

"Am I a really bad brother for coming over here to talk about this when you're dealing with the break up with Eric?" He asks, and she smiles.

"No, Shawn, you're not a bad brother." She tells him. "And my door is always open."

"Cory said you told his parents that you broke up with Eric, but I saw you two that night. I know that it was him who broke up with you." He says, and she takes a deep breath as she looks up at her ceiling. "Scarlett, what happened?"

"He found out something about me that...he just can't get passed." Letty says. "He doesn't like it, and now he...he doesn't want what he used to want for us. And he doesn't want to be with me anymore."

"What's not to like about you?" He questions, turning his head to look at her. "You're Scarlett, you're the best person on the planet."

"That's far from true." She shakes her head. "It doesn't matter what it is. It's something that I can't change, and he can't accept. So now we're over, and it's time for everyone to move on."