ten

⌜ chapter ten ⌟

"Twenty years, and our aluminum tree looks good as new." Mr. Matthews says as he's straightening the branches of the top piece. "I love this tree. I like you, Eric, but I love this tree."

"Oh, don't worry, baby. I love you." Letty says when she sees the look on Eric's face, and he smiles down at her from the top of the ladder.

"Okay, please, I am just asking you please," Cory starts as he makes his way down the stairs to where the others are, and Eric climbs off of the ladder to stand beside his girlfriend. "Topanga's gonna be staying here for Christmas, overnight. Could we please not run naked down the hall singing We Wish You A Merry Christmas?" He asks his brother. "I'm lookin' at you."

"I only do it because people have come to expect it." Eric tells him.

"It's me. I'm people." Letty smiles when Cory turns to glare at her.

"Anything embarrassing about your dad you care to mention?" Mr. Matthews asks as he walks up behind his younger son as the older teenagers walk away from them, returning their attention to the aluminum Christmas tree.

"Well, at this stage of your life, are you capable of change?" He questions.

"Nope."

"Okay, so just when you do it, say excuse me." Cory tells him. "Eric, come here." He walks away from them, and the older boy leaves Letty as she decorates the tree.

Letty can't hear their conversation, and it seems to be rather hushed. She simply continues decorating the tree with Mr. Matthews.

Cory's showing his older brother a promise ring that he got for Topanga. He wants to give it to her for Christmas as a promise that they're gonna be together forever.

"You wanna see something even better?" Eric whispers as he grabs his brother's arm.

"No." He glares at him as the older boy pulls him farther away from the brunette by the back door.

"I'm gonna give this to Letty." He says before pulling a velvet box from his pocket and opening it to show to his brother.

Cory's eyes widen as he looks at the engagement ring. "You're gonna propose tonight?" He asks, but Eric shakes his head.

"No, not tonight. I wanna plan another trip that's just me and her." He tells him. "But I'm afraid that if I leave it in our room, she'll find it. I don't want her to know what I'm planning. Which is part of the reason we've already gone on one weekend vacation. This way, she'll think it's just another trip like the other."

"How long have you been planning this?"

"A long time. It's taken while to save up enough to buy a ring for her that I like." Eric says. "You think she'll like it?"