Prologue - Joe

Joe

Laying all of our cards on the table proved rather interesting for all parties concerned. Amy now knows the truth. She was shocked, but that was inevitable. We learned about Jacob and Calvin as well, and that neither one knows very much about their family.

I said to Dee, "When this all began, those two were united. But now I believe Calvin is questioning his friend. Deep down, I believe Jacob and I've got a feeling Cal does, too. It did not seem malicious, and Jacob was just watching his friend's back. He cares for Calvin, and I believe James does, as well."

"I agree, but I'm still having a problem trusting Calvin." She whispers.

Once we all agreed on a plan, it was time to put it into action. Everyone around me now knows my true identity, even Mark's son. Luckily, Amy had him read my journal, so he knew the reasons I did those things back then, and how I'd tried to save his mother. I agree with Dee and I'm not completely convenience that Mark's kid is trustworthy.

Dave told me that Mr. Calvin Roth was the last person to see Don alive, so he could be lying to us. Amy is a brilliant and clever woman. She can hold her own, so I will try to trust her judgment. Maybe she will now see the big picture, for who he truly is inside.

As we get ready to head out, we're breaking up into two groups. Calvin needs to get the items from his puzzle box Eve gave him as a child. He has them locked in a safe deposit box in Syracuse.

Cal also wants to know what this little key is for, but I already know, and so does Dee. It's for her old office chamber and she turned about 3 shades of green when Amy brought it up.

Our daughter will go with Dave, Paul, and Jacob. I'm not thrilled about this situation, but they just have to go into the library and retrieve a book. Hopefully, while there, these four will figure out where Beth's signal is coming from and if she is somewhere within Heath Grove. Then we will meet at the cottage and figure out a plan to get Beth free.

This should be a very interesting day, and I hope it all goes well.

As the three of us walk into Roth Corp, after leaving the bank across the street, I feel very unnerved.

This place has given me so many nightmares over the years, and I dreaded coming here. We need to get through this, to find out some answers, but I have a feeling our secrets will come tumbling out of that old room.

The look on Dee's face is total distress and my heart aches for her. These are things that should never have come out. But here we all are, about to open pandora's box.

Walking up to security, the two guards just nod as we keep walking. Calvin was anxious they would stop us, but he owns the place after all.

No one from the security detail would ever question Mark when he brought in guests.

Cal stopped to look at his giant portrait on the wall for a moment. But then we just kept going. He seemed surprised by it, which I felt was odd.

Yes. The painting is huge, but that's where Mark had his portrait back in the day.

As the elevator doors open, it all looks so different. I am very glad Cal modernized it, and I'm sure Dee feels the same. Looking around, the place is deserted, and this brings me right back to that night. Eve on my desk, the terror in her eyes and the bruises on her body.

We head into Cal's office, and he looks confused about where to go. Then he points at the door and we walk inside.

Seeing the enormous mahogany desk gone and those ridiculous high-back brown leather chairs missing, made coming in here that much easier.