Chapter 12: Incognito - Joe

Joe

Looking at Calvin holding his mother, I hope this is the man we believe him to be.

I highly doubt Mark would serenade Eve, but he is conniving. Especially with all of us standing around him with guns. I'll wait to see how he reacts once he gets a good look at me. Hopefully, this man will show his true colors. Maybe Amy will see through him if he's not her Vin. The problem is she will be clouded by the excitement of having him back.

Looking around at everyone here, their smiles and tears, I see Jacob put his arm around Amy.

Jacob knows Calvin well, so maybe we should pull him aside. We should let Jay know what we've been told. For all we know, it's a lie and if that is the case, we need to protect Calvin from those who are out there hunting him. Now I just need a moment alone with Mark's kid, and that might take some doing.

Standing here watching him intently, Dave stands next to me as we observe his actions. Eve is mesmerized by this man. If she were to find out Calvin is in fact Mark, I have a feeling Eve would lose her mind completely. Whispering to Dave my thoughts, he nods in agreement and we will talk to Jacob once there is a window.

POP

Hearing a noise, I quickly turn to find Jessica on the floor.

Jesus, she is bleeding out and half her skull is been blown off!

A group of men enter the room and then him... It was a lie. Or this is Edward?

Standing in the doorway 6 guards are aiming their guns at us and he has a big smile on his face. Fuck!

He says while glancing at all of us, "Well, look what we caught in our net today! How perfect is all this? Thanks to my slave, you will never see the light of day ever again. Amelia, please lay my items you found on the desk."

As my daughter walks over to the desk, Eve gets right in his face. She is furious, and this might just be her last time to tell him off.

She screams, "You bastard! My son lives... Look at our child Mark, he is alive and you took him from me. You are sick, I'm disgusted by you and I hate you more than I ever have before. Just when I thought you could not get any lower or worse, somehow you find a way. I will..."

He adds, "Kill me... Is that where you were going to say, slave? I've given you mercy, I let you live, and this is what I get in return? Guards, shoot Eve..."

Vin screams, "Wait, please don't, father. I will do anything you want. I've just found her again and I can't lose my mother now. Please, father, I am begging you to spare her life."

Mark says, "Well now, that's a good boy. Take them to the cells below and throw my slave back in her prison. If she acts up, shoot her with a tranquilizer, because Calvin wants his mommy to live."

Looking at the desk, he grabs the items and adds, "Ah, perfect, just what I need. Thank you for bringing this, Amelia. I love when a plan comes together. I've got somewhere to be, so take their guns and escort them down into their holes."

It's so strange how Mark has not changed at all. It looks as though not a single year has passed since I saw him last. How is it possible? That was 25 years ago, yet he looks the same?

"Matt?" Eve says softly.

Then, more sternly, she hollers, "Mathew Roth!"

He hesitates for a split second but then keeps walking down the tunnel. Watching this take place is very interesting. Eve of all people would know the difference between them. So, if that was Matt, where are Mark and Ed?