Chapter 9: Following Orders - Joe

Joe

Once that brutal task of killing these drones was done, Dave calls his team. He gives them the update and basic coordinates for the island as well. His team will immediately get ready to assist us here, and the rest will start surveying that island to shut it down.

While briefing his division, I took my phone off vibrate. There are 48 missed calls. Dee is going to be furious with me, but I had to do what I thought was right at the time.

Please let Amy be there.

As I'm about to dial, my phone rings. I look at it and it's Dee's cell phone.

I answer it and say, "Hello!"

"Oh, thank God, are you alright?" Dee exclaims exuberantly.

I reply, "Yes baby, it's me and I'm so sorry, honey."

"Where are all of you? I have not seen or heard from anyone in almost three days and I've been so scared!" Dee yells, and my heart hurts.

Amy didn't make it back.

"Sweetheart, it's a long story, but I'm okay. Dave and I will find Amy. They will not harm her. We got some information and they do not want to hurt her. I know none of this makes any sense, and I'll explain more soon.

She hollers, "What!"

"Listen, Paul was shot and so was James Goodwin. But these crazy people want to protect Amy and keep her safe. This is way bigger than we thought, but I will find our daughter, I promise you, Dee." I say and then hear someone coming.

"I have to go, but I'll call you back as soon as I can. I love you." Hanging up the phone, I know she is going to be furious with me, even more so now.

Dave and I wait with our guns pointed at the door, for whoever is coming around the corner. When the giggles ensue and we both realize it's just a group of girls wandering around down here. They are all scantily dressed, laughing, and having a wonderful time.

A man's voice says angrily at the three, "Ladies, you are not where you belong. I will escort you to the house, but you need to stay there and out of harm's way. The invasion may happen soon, so behave and do as you are told."

Once they walk past, we headed in the opposite direction and reach the closet. Inside we change, and I fill Dave in on what I overheard Harry saying back on the island. He is in disbelief to some extent, but after seeing those three women in the pool, nothing could shock us now.

Dave and I went back down the hall to the cells and we find Beth, but Jacob is gone. Slipping in, she sees us and tries to act normal as we sneak down the wall once more, hiding from the cameras.

He throws her the keys as I had done for him, and Beth catches them. She looks exhausted and has been crying, I could tell.

This poor girl. I wonder if they just left her here for three days to rot.

Beth gets the cell open and runs to us. She looks at me with such sad eyes. Holding a finger to my lips, she nods and I hug her tight. We walk silently out of this place together. Taking her to the closet, she looks ready to break down, but Beth holds her head high and doesn't make a sound.

Once inside, Beth asks, "Where did you all go? I've been alone this entire time, except for a guard or two stopping by with food. They wouldn't say a word to me, and I was so scared they did something terrible. Mark took Amy the first day, then when I woke up, everyone was gone, you and Jay were just gone."