Chapter 15: Saving Amy - Joe

Joe

Gathering everything up, as I go to leave this office, something catches my eye on the file cabinet next to the door. I am amazed that these tapes are sitting right here, out in the open. It's like this was laid out for me, as though someone knew I was coming.

Grabbing the stack of VHS videos, I add them to the bag. Written on each one is a description, date, and time they were recorded. These are videotaped depositions from Matt Roth when his wife died. Also, there are a few witness accounts from Sam Blake's disappearance and security footage from around here at Heath Grove. There is even one marked Nick Anderson? Going through and reading each one, I'm dumbfounded as to why these were left here. What game are they playing? Maybe there are some members in here trying to help us?

Stuffing the last one inside, I turn and check the hallway. Not seeing anyone in the near vicinity, I walked out and rejoin Dave. He needs to see what I've found, and hopefully, this will help our cause.

Heading out the door and around the corner, four men come up to me, two with guns drawn and in uniforms. They appeared out of nowhere like these guards were waiting for me or something. Shit, was this a setup?

The one guard says, "Drop the bag and get up against the wall."

The other two are masked and in green robes, so they must be members.

While frisking me, he says, "Well, what do we have here?"

Fuck, they found my gun. I was so close, and now they've caught me once again. If I lose all of this information, it all will have been for nothing and my freedom will be lost once more.

Reaching into my pocket, the guard then finds the flash drive that Will gave me and I feel so stupid. I had my freedom in my hands and now it will be lost to me forever. Wracking my brain, I try to think of a way out of this mess, but how do I explain all of this and the items in my possession?

"What is your name, sir?" The first guard says as he locks the handcuffs.

I turn around, saying nothing as he lifts the white mask and my identity is now revealed.

Quickly, they pull my mask back down, and I'm confused. He grabs my arm and the five of us swiftly move back into the office that I had just exited.

One of the cloaked men says softly, "Keep quiet and do not say a word, Joe."

Hearing this, I'm filled with fear because this man knows my true identity. All these years in hiding and I'm unmasked, literally and figuratively, by these men.

After the door is closed, the other man, wearing a cloak, removes his white mask and smiles at me. The guy looks like Paul, but I don't believe he's real. This man is just another clone sent in to confuse us. We found his dead body, down in that cell, then the other, on the island, not to mention the man in my home. How can I know which one is the real Paul?

"Hello Joe, what do you know?" He says and at first, I'm a bit taken back.

The other masked man removes his as well and says, "Mr. Whitney, we are a part of Captain Holm's division. Do you know where he is?" The guy asks, and I am confused as I look back at Paul.

"Yes, Joe, it is me. I was trying to get information out of Dee's clone when our team got to your house, but no one would believe me. Luckily, I had a microchip implanted in my skin years ago, when I joined the division. They checked me out, rather thoroughly, I must say. Our guys found that I was telling the truth." Paul explains.