Chapter 20: The Plan

"And then I marched right in to Mr. Bennett's office and demanded that he tell me everything he knew about Alexis. He told me that apparently they dated for a while and had a massive break up when she decided to go far away for college. He started acting out and that played a part in him moving here in the first place."

I'm sitting in Lydia's kitchen with my girls as I go over the events of the past few weeks to catch them up. It feels so good to vent to them and it's as if this huge weight has been lifted off me.

"Did Oliver ever mention that to you?" Lydia asks, washing the silverware used to eat our takeout that I brought over after my Monday shift was cut short by Mr. Bennett (which I assume was out of pity).

"No, he never mentioned any of this to me!" I scream out of frustration, but immediately send pleading eyes in Lydia's direction, as this has been a tough day and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. She accepts them with a nod and an understanding look. "Mr. Bennett said that Oliver's mom told him that they ran into each other over Thanksgiving because they had the same friend group and that she was worried about him. That's why he was questioning Oliver that day in the bookstore when I overheard everything."

"I can't believe you've been sitting with these doubtful feelings for weeks and we didn't even notice," Callie says, then turns to Lydia. "We're shitty friends!"

I pull Callie up from her chair next to mine and pull her over to the sink so I can face her and Lydia at the same distance. "No, I got too much in my head and didn't wanna sound like a jealous girlfriend. I thought you guys would think I was annoying, which I know you wouldn't, but I just was so freaked and didn't want anyone else to know." We form a group hug and all is forgiven. "You never get to think you're shitty friends, agreed?"

"Agreed." They chime in sync. I smile.

"But, now I need your help," I slowly start, scared to actually say the words out loud.

They wait, looking at me to finish my thought.

"I want to break up with Oliver."

I watch as they look at each other, then at me, and then back at one another. I keep talking before they can get a word in. "I've been contemplating this for weeks since I first heard about Alexis and Oliver lied to me by saying that I had nothing to worry about, because clearly there's something to worry about. And I think we're still early enough in our relationship that we can get out of it now before anyone gets hurt." I make sure to leave out the fact that I think I'm in love with him and that I'm barely hanging on by a thread right now, because there's only so much I can expose of myself for one day.

My friends can totally see through my bullshit right now, but they choose not to say anything about it, which I appreciate more than either of them know. To nobody's surprise, Callie's the first to break the silence.

"If it's what you want," she starts, looking to Lydia who nods in agreement. "We'll help you."

I grip my friends into a hug and start sliding to the floors in tears. Even if it's what I know I need to do, I can't help but feel sick at it.