Chapter 17: This December

"C'mon, let me quiz you," Oliver pleaded. "For every one you get right, you'll earn a reward." Before I could speak, his lips were dancing on mine and I couldn't pull away. I mean, I could, but I didn't want to. After a few seconds, we pulled apart.

"That doesn't seem like the best studying tactic, Bennett," I reply, my forehead still lingering on his, a smile on my face.

"I think it would really help," he whispered in ear, but I pushed him back, laughing.

"I told you I had to study and that I wouldn't be fun tonight," I said. "And you agreed to not be a distraction."

"Alright," he puffed. "But can we take a break in 15 minutes?"

"Deal."

It's a Monday night after my shift and Oliver decided to come over to study with me. Really, I'm studying while he listens to music and zones out, but just having his company is nice. The occasional kisses are a plus, too.

It's been just over two weeks since our family dinner and things have been great between Oliver and I. We hang out practically everyday and I wouldn't have it any other way. He'll bring over his bass and try to teach me songs, or I'll read to him in his room. I can't help but smile when I'm around him and I love the feeling.

I've noticed a change in Oliver, a positive one. He seems to be talking with his dad more. I mean, he still refers to him by his first name, but I've overheard them at work having conversations and not wanting to kill one another afterwards. He hasn't openly talked about it with me yet, but he hasn't been making rude comments towards Mr. Bennett either, so I'd call that progress.

"I call break time!" Oliver said, after roughly a minute of silence.

"Oliver we agreed-" 

I stop as I removed my eyes from my laptop and looked out my window. A smile formed on my face and, like a magnet, pulled my body to the glass to look outside. Oliver got up and followed, wrapping his arms around my waist and allowing my head to rest against his chest as we both watched in amazement.

"So this is what a New York Christmas is like?" he asked, breaking the silence. "I can see the hype."

"The first snowfall of the season. It's beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as-"

"Don't get corny on my ass, Bennett. You're far more of a romantic than I thought."

I turned around and without warning, Oliver kissed me with passion. It was rapid, intense, messy and beautiful. He picked me up and my legs wrapped around him as he walked over to my bed and laid me down, our lips never breaking apart. I hadn't even realized my arms' initial instinct was to take of his shirt, fumbling with his buttons in the moment.

His body was warm and gentle against my cool skin, which was now stripped down to my pink bra. As we took off our layers of clothing, the speed slowed down, but the passion remained. Oliver was careful with where he place his hands on my body. I thought to myself, gosh I'm so deeply in love with-

NO!

I broke apart and untangled myself from Oliver as soon as I came to the realization. But, I could tell my sudden outburst worried him.

"Are you okay? Gosh, I'm so stupid. I am truly so stupid. I've been extra careful to ensure I wasn't pressuring you, but I got caught in the moment, which isn't an excuse and I know it-"

"I'm sorry. I just needed to slow down. I shouldn't have spooked you like that."

"No, you're not allowed to apologize."

"Look, this is all just so new to me and-"

"You don't need to explain. Just come here."

I crawled back into his arms and there we were, in our most vulnerable forms, the perfect moment.

And I loved him. I was madly in love with Oliver Bennett and I wanted nothing more than to tell him so. But, I couldn't. For I knew he'd never feel the same way.

I soaked up this moment of silence in my love's arms, knowing it would be one of our lasts. Because I didn't know how yet, but I had to end things with Oliver. Before it got worse.

Damn it!