Chapter 3: Day One

(A/N: I might go by the manga because I realized how much better it is)

"Can I get an espresso?" I was currently at a coffee shop called Anteiku. Only a few customers where up at 7:00 am, the people who had just started to go to work and people studying. All looked barely conscious.

The waitress nodded at my request and started brewing my coffee and said, "That will be 750 yen."

I stared around at the small shop called Anteiku the back wall was lined with varying types of coffee I also noticed that the waitress had purple hair in the shape of a bob.

"Ms. Kirishima-san are there any savory locations in the 20th ward?" I asked her, while I started rummaging through my wallet for money.

"Ah... I could say Kamii University but it would only be interesting if you're a student." Kirishima finished with the coffee in record time and I handed her the yen in exchange for my drink.

"Thank you." I told the barista, and spotted a small table near a corner.

"You're welcome." Kirishima said back to me with a smile and a head tilt.

I walked over to my desired table, sat down and took my phone out to text Yosuke. I asked him when he'd get out of bed but of course he didn't reply amazing work ethic I thought to myself sarcastically.

While shoving my phone back into my floral print sweater I took a few sips from my glass coffee cup.

"Huh." looks like the rising coffee prices were worth it. I shrugged off my bookbag and took my laptop out to file a journal entry, the page listed all the places I had visited so far, the journal worthy people I'd talked with and their behaviors. Not that I'd talked with many people on my first day.

After finishing my entry and my coffee I returned my laptop to its holster then grabbed my favorite book, after all I had more than an hour of free time with Yosuke asleep.

I cracked open the Black Goat's Egg to the very first page, I had read this particular book and others written by Takatsuki many times.

About thirty minutes later the café started to fill up a little more with three more people walking in. The first came alone and took a seat next to a window, the next two came in a pair. A slight college boy who looked quiet timid with
his slightly oversized grey sweater and another boy who practically radiated energy with a whole bright yellow/black color scheme going on for him.

These two caught my interest because they where the only people close to my age in Anteiku besides the barista, everyone else was at least thirty years old or older.

"Kaneki. If you don't find a girlfriend in college you might be alone forever." The yellow boy said.

"Ah thanks for the... advice, Hide" Kaneki said in a soft voice.

Well nothing too interesting in their rather loud conversation so I went back to reading my book and heard the pair sit down.

Just when the mother started to brutally murder her victim I heard a small gasp and felt someone watching me. To my surprise it was the boy named Kaneki and as soon as I caught his eye he turned away and blushed, the two boys were soon engrossed in a hushed conversation.

Anyway. I directed my gaze back to the mutilation happening on the pages, my coffee long gone and halfway through the book.

The sound of a chair screeching and footsteps coming towards me, drew my eyes up again to see the boy with headphones around his neck walking up to me.