6.)

Kiara:

I bit my lip, staring hard at myself in my mirror. It's not that fucking deep, I thought to myself.

It was Wednesday evening, just a few days after Karim's kickback. I was about to see Chris, so I could show him the syllabus for my Biology of Sex class. The plan was to look over it and determine a reasonable schedule so he could help me with the course. I was beyond nervous, especially given how I was going to his apartment for this conversation. I'd never been in there, much less by myself. I kept telling myself it was just a casual meeting, but I was stupidly sitting at my desk debating on whether or not I should wear makeup.

It wasn't like I needed to. Not only did I look good without it, but Chris had seen me in my most bare state-- literally. There was nobody to impress besides myself, and I definitely didn't want him thinking I cared so much... even if I actually did.

I sighed, forcing myself to turn off the vanity light and settling for lipgloss. I pulled my braids into a half-up, half-down style, after throwing on a pair of denim shorts with a black tank crop and an oversized gray hoodie. I grabbed my book bag and phone, then proceeded to leave my room.

I walked out to Deja cooking what smelled like Jambalaya. She frowned in confusion. "Oh, you're not eating with us? We have a couple of friends coming over for a small dinner and wine night. Kari's bringing Karim and maybe Eyoel, and Logan and Marquis are coming at around 8:30. I was gonna introduce you to a few girls I lived with last year too."

"I should be back soon." I responded. "I'll be at Chris' place for a little bit, cuz he's supposed to be helping me with this stupid-ass class."

Her eyes widened. "Oh, that's tonight? Okay, I'll make sure to save some food, but if time permits and Chris wants to, he's more than welcome to join us."

"I don't think he'll be interested." My face grew hot under her knowing smirk.

"Well just in case. I'll save you a bottle of Moscato too... you might need it."

I didn't respond to that and simply bid her goodbye. I slipped my flip flops on, before stepping out into the warm evening. I slowly trudged the short distance over to Chris' door. I inhaled deeply, slowly letting the breath out. I lightly knocked on the door.

When he opened the door, my heart annoyingly skipped a beat. "Hey."

"Hey," he gave me a small smile. "Come on in."

I stepped inside his apartment and out of my shoes, noticing how bare it was. "Do you have any roommates?"

"Yeah, just one." He answered. "But he's never here. He usually sleeps over at his girlfriend's. The other guy who was supposed to live here left Tech altogether and has been looking for someone to sublease his room. Do you wanna work out here, or..."

My face grew even hotter when he nodded towards a door that I assumed led into his bedroom. "Yeah, let's do out here."

"Sure, just give me a second." He went into his room, quickly returning with a notebook and his laptop. "You got your syllabus?"

"Yeah, hold on." I pulled out my MacBook. Chris leaned forward, gazing at my screensaver.

"Wait, is that you and... Coach B?"

I nodded with a smile. "Yeah, she was one of my instructors for the dance team during sophomore year."

"Wow... what was it like having her as a coach again? Was she as hard on y'all as she was in high school?"

I snorted. "Harder. Especially on me, since we knew each other. But we definitely grew closer too. We had lots of bonding events and such. She actually helped me decide to transfer."