3.)

Kiara:

"I can't get over how beautiful your apartment is!" My mom gushed, looking around the space.

We'd just come back from an enjoyable dinner at El Rodeo, as recommended by Karisma. I was holding my 4 month old baby brother, Israel. He was the cutest little thing, and I recalled feeling an immediate connection with him upon his birth. I wanted to be the best big sister possible, regardless of the age gap or having different fathers.

"It is very nice, Kiara." Edward noted, smiling at me.

I returned the smile, grateful that he was in my mother's life. I knew it took a lot for my mom to finally give into her feelings for him, for fear of betraying me and my late father, but I hadn't seen her so happy in years. Edward was good for her and a very caring stepfather to me.

"I'm glad y'all like it." I said. I looked down at my baby brother. "What do you think Israel? Do you like my place?"

Israel just stared up at me with big eyes as he sucked away at a pacifier.

"My baby's so precious." My mom cooed, coming close enough to lightly run her fingers through Israel's already large supply of curls.

"Our baby." Edward jokingly said. "She always does that."

"Unsurprising." I laughed.

A knock on the front door grabbed our attention, and I turned around to see Chris awkwardly standing at the frame.

He sheepishly smiled, "uh... Kiara told me y'all were coming, and I didn't think it'd be right for me not to come say hello."

"Chris?!" My mom exclaimed. "It's so good to see you! Come in, come in!"

Oh yeah, invite him into my home, I thought.

He glanced at me and I shrugged, looking down at the ground. He stepped inside the apartment fully, letting the door close behind him. My practically tackled him in a hug. "Hi, Mrs. Angela. Edward, how've you two been?"

"Just wonderful. How about yourself?" Mom questioned, furrowing her eyebrows. "Kiara, I thought you told me Chris went to Georgetown for basketball?"

"I did." Chris swooped in. "I transferred after my first year. I like it here a bit better."

"Do you play basketball for this school now?" Edward asked.

When Chris nodded, my mom rose an eyebrow. "Are you living in this complex?"

He nodded again. "I actually live right next door."

My mom looked at me and I could tell that the wheels in her head were turning. She was a heavy believer in fate and everything happening for a reason, so I knew where her mind was heading. She was extremely upset when I told her we'd broken up, because she swore we were endgame.

"How interesting..." she said, before pulling Chris closer to me. "You haven't met Israel yet! This is Kiki's new baby brother."

Izzy was watching us with his big brown eyes and small smirk on his face as if he understood everything going on. Upon looking at him, I could see Chris' entire demeanor change. He smiled widely.

"He's precious. I can see the resemblance."

"Do you wanna hold him?" Before Chris could respond, my mom took the baby from me and practically dropped him in Chris' arms. Surprisingly, Israel didn't cry, instead simply staring up at Chris. They both looked comfortable, and a small part of me was charmed by that. Chris looked up at me, and our eyes locked. The short moment felt eternal, so I cleared my throat.