7.)

Kiara:

"Okay class, before you leave, please check Canvas. I just posted your partners for the short project. I expect you to get together outside of class to equally distribute work."

I opened my laptop to go onto the Canvas site for my Communications course. Scrolling through the files, I pursed my lips upon seeing that my partner was Rylo from the basketball team. I didn't even notice he was in the class.

After the pool party that was nearly a month back at this point, I hadn't spoken to Rylo much. He'd followed me on Instagram and Twitter, and would occasionally respond to something I posted. I honestly wasn't phased; he didn't feel like my type. I'd concluded that a majority of these Black athletes either didn't like Black women at all or were colorist, and I didn't want any parts.

Once class dismissed, I gathered my belongings and left the lecture hall. I'd barely made it outside, when a hand gripped my wrist.

"Excuse you." I turned around to meet Rylo's smile. The familiar face did little to relax me.

"My bad, shawty." He apologized, though he didn't let go of my wrist for an extra moment. "So... we're partners, huh?"

"It looks like it. And I get you have commitments, so I don't mind taking a heavier load of the assignment... but you're gonna have to do something, alright?"

"Yeah, most definitely." He started walking beside me. "Any opportunity to kick it with you, I'll take. You've been ignoring me."

"Not intentionally." Lie. "I've just been trying to adjust. I'm not used to seeing so many white people."

Rylo laughed loudly at that. "Nah, I get it. I was like that when I first got here. They're good people though. The town is nice too. I know the best hot spots. I can show you around more, if you'd like."

"Sure, after we get our project done." I agreed, though I couldn't have cared less. I figured he was just trying to get into my pants. In another life I would've been flattered, because he was most definitely attractive, but I just wanted him to be upfront with it. I knew his type; he would maneuver his words in a way to make my responses seem like I was pursuing him, and I hated when guys did stuff like that. Being clear about your intentions isn't hard.

"Also, how do you know Chris?"

I tensed up at that question. "What do you mean?"

"At the pool party, he hovered over you like crazy. If everybody didn't already know he was with Rima, we would've thought you were his bi- his girl. I know y'all live across from one another, and Deja asked him to make sure you were comfortable with us, but dang... y'all interact like y'all have known each other for years."

"Oh, I mean... we went to high school together and were neighbors back then too. I was a cheerleader while he was on the basketball team. We had most of our classes together and ran in the same circle, so yeah we definitely knew each other. We were actually really good friends."

"I thought you were from around Richmond? Ain't Chris from Philly?"

"He is, and I am. He moved to my town for our last two years of high school."

"Were you shocked to see him again?"

I scoffed. "You have no idea..."

We walked a few more meters towards the parking lot, when Rylo started to chuckle. "Speak of the devil."

I turned my head in the direction he was gazing and saw Chris getting out of his car. My heart did a little leap, and my face grew hot. Rylo called his name, much to my irritation. Chris looked up at the sound of his name, before making his way over to us.