8.)

Chris:

"LET'S GO!" Someone in the crowd randomly yelled.

"HOKIES!" We all loudly responded, only for that call and response to be animately repeated several more times.

"Wow... you guys have a special type of school spirit." Kiara noted, drunkenly looking around.

We were at Center Street, which was the traditionally designated tailgating space for Virginia Tech students. It was just a very large grassy area behind a few apartment buildings, in which hundreds of students would gather before every home football game to pregame. Some sections were closed off for fraternities and sororities, but overall it was a welcoming and open area for all students, parents, and alumni.

Since this was Kiara's first Virginia Tech football game, Deja and Karisma wanted her to get the full experience. They'd gone to some outlet store and bought matching orange t-shirts, since the game theme was an orange-out. As most college girls do for football games, they'd cut and customized the t-shirts into different crop tops. We'd all pregamed at their apartment, before taking the bus to our destination. Everybody was drunk and feeling good, making me believe we were in for a good time.

"Ooh, Chris, let's shotgun again!" Rima handed me a Twisted Tea. We tapped our cans together, before I poked a hole in the bottom of mine and immediately began to chug the beverage. The alcohol surged through my system, as this had been my 5th drink of the day, not including the shots I'd already taken. I was definitely feeling it at this point, and the heat from the beautiful sun only added to that.

"Kiara!" Karisma said, pulling her towards her. "The group chat actually got a section! Come on, it's a whole cookout scene over there."

I watched Kiara step away from Rima and I to follow Kari wherever she was trying to lead her. I impulsively began to trail behind.

"Where are you going?" Rima asked, grabbing my arm to stop me.

I paused. "Oh, I-I thought you'd wanna go with them."

"We'll see them later." She waved off. "Let's get another drink!"

I let Rima grab me by my hands and pull me towards a section with a white frat. The bouncer dapped me up like he knew me and stepped aside to let us behind the setup. A Playboi Carti song was playing through a speaker, while drunk students bumped around the space. I was immediately bored.

Rima went to go speak with the DJ, not noticing when I didn't follow her. A couple of girls tried to talk to me, but I only responded enough to not seem rude. I was trying really hard not to be a jerk, but I was irritated. Rima had me in this boring section for what? It wasn't hard for me to fit in anywhere, but I wasn't interested.

I found myself constantly looking in the direction Karisma had dragged Kiara. I couldn't see them specifically, but the section they were in seemed to be much more enjoyable than where I was with Rima. I struggled to fight back irritation. I wanted to be with the other girls. Or at least closer. I just knew Kiara was having a good time over there.

I decided to put back the Truly, instead opting to get water. My head was definitely clouded with intoxication, as I once again glanced over to where the girls had dragged Kiara. I saw the entire group forming multiple rows, insinuating they were about to do a line dance.

Once again, I began to make my way over to the area. Thankfully, this time Rima followed without protest. "You were bored, weren't you?" When I nodded, she laughed. "Me too."

Once we reached the area, I realized most of the people in it were Black students. I suddenly wondered if I was intruding, but my girlfriend pulled me through before I could really question it. Nobody paid me much mind, though.