12

Morioka's Life

1

Morioka Adachi was eating in his lonely living room, putting his coat over his thin back; he wished that he could afford the heater that the landlord told him about with his aunt, but why get one if he could just 'man the fuck up'—her words—and sleep?

And he'd also wanted to lose the moments where he'd slap himself, always reminded that he was the loneliest person he knew. Just someone who thought more than usual, 'How was school?' His aunt took care of him, but even she wouldn't often sleep under the same roof, renting a much cleaner apartment half a city away. Morioka reminded himself of when his aunt ate the Takoyaki that he had prepared and didn't even thank him once.

Hell, he didn't even remember her looking at him that day. She took her things and left, never batting an eye or saying hello. It was his parent's fault that his life was like this, split up and dead. But that was better. None of that mattered because he could live his best there. After all, with so many people, he would be given the chance of friendship and acquaintances.

Wrong, they left him, and like his aunt, they'd never bat an eye. Morioka was starting to think it was because of his body odor, but after asking a few others and his friend, Sora, it hadn't even been that. In his heart, Morioka dreaded such pain, and that was when he put the robes over his head, put his hands together, and spilled his blood into the circle. It hurt, but what hurt more was the memories, and they were going to fade soon.

"Just a little more blood, and you'll be granted such power, Adachi." The hooded boy claimed. "You'll have what you want."

"Don't worry. I don't plan on giving up soon." Morioka shrugged as he left the basement and rose up the stairs. He made sure to rid himself of the black sand they poured over him and put his uniform on.

The rest of the day was normal. It was a bit too normal, and the teachers didn't even pick on him that day to read aloud. He took the train station, and in the corner of his eye, he spotted a girl around his age. He wasn't sure whether she was his senior, but he couldn't escape the fact that she intrigued him. Her hair was dark and short, and above her bangs was a hair clip; it was a cute accessory, one of a bear. It complemented her elegance surprisingly, and perhaps that was what attracted Morioka to her.

But besides her was a boy at arm's distance, much taller than he ever could be. He smiled and cracked a few jokes, making sure to stay as quiet as the rest of the station had been. Putting it together, he was fascinated with her. He was a dork at first glance, and yet she appreciated his presence. He knew this boy, and he'd even spoken to him a few times, and with one scoff, he turned away, returning his attention to her. But alas, he mouthed, 'What do you want?' Morioka felt himself shake and freeze, hoping that his stop would not be close to the boys, and had a heart attack when he realized that he wasn't, but his stop lined up with the girl.

"What a load of shit," Morioka cursed under his breath. He halted the station, going one earlier to give himself time to think. Morioka kicked the sand and dirt repeatedly, finding a park with a few swings. He hadn't swung on one in nearly a decade, so the feeling was thrilling, close to what a theme park was when he went on his own.

On his way closest to his house, he pulled his phone to purposely distract himself from the young boys by the restroom, hoping that he wouldn't land himself an encounter, but he did. They were middle schoolers and, judging from their circle form, interested in a game of shogi. But this was no shogi. No, it was a board with letters and a piece of plastic.

"Hey, Yoshitsune, high guy! Are you looking for your girlfriend, or what?" the fatter boy shouted, losing his breath before the end of his sentence, but he received the laugh he wanted.