Prologue

I was in the palace library when I got the call. "Nova you must come urgently... it's your father," Meredith said frantically and the book I was holding had almost fallen to the floor.

"What do you mean, has his condition worsened?" I questioned as I'd followed her out of the mahogany doors. Panic rose in my chest and my legs felt numb as we took hasty strides down the long cobble corridors.

"There's no time to explain everything. We have to get there immediately," Meredith explained and my dread only magnified.

The corridors only seemed to get longer when you wanted to walk down them quicker.

My father, the King of the Amour court, had been ill for as long as I could remember. His condition had only worsened over the months and I feared his body was soon to give up. Healer after healer but nothing would work.

I pushed open the doors with such ferocity, I was surprised that they were not ripped off of their hinges.

My eyes met my father's weak form sprawled on the bed. His face was deathly white and my mother sat beside him, her hand clutched around his. The sight had almost brought me to my knees.

"Father," I whispered in disbelief. He was fine just that morning, how could he have taken such a vast turn. "What happened?" I turned to my mother, tears shone in her eyes.

"We... we were going on a walk and... and he just collapsed," my mother said in between sobs. "Excuse me, dear," she whispered and left the room, Meredith followed shortly after.

I slowly walked over to the bed and sat in the chair beside it, where my mother had sat.

"You... were s-such a blessing Nova Amour," my father choked out and I smiled down at him as tears clouded my vision. "I only have... one request," he barely managed to say.

"Of course, I'll do anything," I professed and he smiled weakly at me.

Not being able to see him in such pain anymore, I had brought my hands together - a wondrous bright light erupted at my fingertips and I had placed my hand in his. I watched the light flood through his body and he had sighed in relief.

He was still dying but he no longer had to bear the pain it had brought.

I'd had the gift of light since I was a child and had been taught to hide it ever since - only ever to use it in dire situations. Our court was the epitome of light and life but only a few over the years were ever gifted light itself at birth. I was one of them.

"Bring peace... between the courts... marry the King of the Acheron court," he whispered and my breath got caught in my throat. I can't do that. I can't marry the King... not when I am to marry Easton.

"But father," I whispered but he shook his head.

"You will only be... c-crowned queen when you get yourself a king," he professed and I watched as he closed his eyes and as the light had left his body.

"Mother, Meredith!" I screamed and they had burst through the doors. "Get help... get help!" I sobbed and tried to shake my father's shoulders.

He couldn't die, it wasn't his time. He still had so much life ahead of him, he was supposed to watch me get married, have children - he was supposed to be there. Now all I have is some empty bargain that I'm not sure I'll be able to fill.

After what felt like a lifetime, several guards and doctors ran into the room and began to surround my father.

They tried everything they could to save the King of their land... but everything wasn't enough.

But you see, this was only the start. This was what set everything in motion; every loss, every heartbreak, every pain, every sorrow.

Over the next course of years, I learned how to live and how to love but I also learned how to barely survive and how to deal with losing people closest to me. But, also learning how to deal with losing myself.

You'll understand soon enough...