❖ 08 | we're grey

jjk - 16 - 6 years ago

Bodies were scattered all around him.

The putrid smell of fresh blood hung heavy in the air. Aside from his own harsh breathing, small groans and shuddering last breaths were the only sounds to be heard. There was a gut-wrenching feeling in his stomach, that only heightened as he took in the scenery before him.

The scenery that he had caused.

Next to him stood Taehyung, grinning with all his teeth on show, despite the blood splattered across his hands, clothes and face. How could Taehyung just smile at him after knowing he had ended the lives of so many people? How could Taehyung pat his head and tell him he did a good job when he just heard the piercing cries begging for mercy that he could so easily have offered to them?

Jungkook jolted awake, breathing fast and hard in a desperate attempt to get oxygen into his convulsing lungs. His heart was thundering in his ears, pounding just like the dull ache in his clenched fists.

Jungkook realised Taehyung's arms had been around him and were now flung to the side. He tried to calm his breathing, don't wake him up, but it only got worse as he let out a small whimper at the image of Taehyung grinning at him once again.

Jungkook curled into himself, moving back and forth in a rocking motion. Forwards and backwards. Forwards and backwards. Forwards and backwards.

"Kook?" It was Taehyung's voice, soft and laced with sleep.

"Sorry, It was just a dream," Jungkook whispered back, trying to hide the quiver in his voice. Taehyung nodded, the movement faintly visible from the moonlight that streamed in through the open window.

Jungkook took a deep breath, trying to think of anything but Taehyung's eerie grin in his dream. He moved closer to Taehyung's chest, letting the older boy's embrace envelop him once again.

After a few minutes of staring silently at the all-too-familiar window, Jungkook turned around to face Taehyung.

"Are we bad people?"

That very question had been plaguing Jungkook's mind for a week. Despite pushing it to the back of his mind, hiding it and covering it consciously, he couldn't escape the doubt and confusion. At night his thoughts returned to haunt him in his vivid dreams.

For a second, Jungkook thought Taehyung had fallen asleep. Then Taehyung's eyes opened once again, and this time he seemed a bit more awake. Jungkook watched as Taehyung removed his arms from around Jungkook, and sat up against the headboard.

"Yeah." Taehyung muttered, "according to society, we are."

Jungkook felt that dreaded knot in his abdomen tighten.

"But," Taehyung turned to look directly at him, his gaze strong, "I'll tell you something, analyse it any way you wish."

"Okay." Jungkook reached out to interlock their fingers, he needed something to ground him. The warmth of Taehyung's hand seeped into his palm, helping calm the chill in his bones.

"Somehow, it's socially acceptable to kill animals and eat them later; we do it all the time with chicken, for example. But we've been learning to kill our whole lives. Does that mean all meat eaters are bad people? Or has society just deemed that the killing of humans is particularly immoral?"

Jungkook continued staring at Taehyung, mouth slightly agape. He hadn't thought of it that way.

"But it is wrong to kill humans—" Jungkook began before Taehyung interrupted him.

"Do we go around stabbing random people on the street? No. Do we kill people who have succumbed to the shady dealings of Seoul and then not even done that job properly? Often." Taehyung paused, blinking before frowning. "What my point is basically— not everything is black and white. Sometimes people are grey, we're grey."

"We're grey..." Jungkook echoed, looking downwards.

"It's late, let's get some sleep," Taehyung whispered, gently combing a hand through his hair before pulling the blanket up and hugging him.

The younger took a deep breath, nodding and snuggling into the embrace, relief spreading through him at the close contact. Taehyung was right. They were grey. They weren't monsters.

Jungkook waited for the familiar sound of Taehyung's even breathing, a certain indicator that he was fast asleep. He carefully turned to the side, twisting his body uncomfortably to reach the pen on his nightstand without disturbing the older male. He uncapped it, freezing and scrunching his nose at the loud pop of the cap opening, before relaxing again when the other didn't stir. He leaned forward, squinting in the dark, and then writing on his wrist:

We're grey.

thank you sm to hooverssweaterpaws, she is an absolute ANGEL

and im sorry but despite the heavy themes in this chap, im soft.