❖ 10 | familiar faces and old regrets

kth - 24 - present

kth - 24 - present

Taehyung drummed his fingers impatiently against the steering wheel as he watched the traffic light turn from red to green. By now the sun had set, but Seoul was more active than ever. Neon lights buzzed in a multitude of colours, and buildings illuminated by street lamps and spotlights stood like shining beacons against the night sky. The scene resembled a piece of modern art with white, grey and silver brushstrokes messily drawn over a black canvas peppered with glowing spots of light.

"Please don't panic, Princess. I promise I won't let anybody hurt you," Jungkook coaxed into the phone, a new tenderness in his voice, one Taehyung hadn't heard for years.

Taehyung swallowed the lump that had suddenly manifested in his throat. Princess?

Of course Jungkook had a girlfriend. He was a 22-year-old millionaire with tattoos and a tongue piercing. Why wouldn't he have a girlfriend?

Taehyung tried to focus on driving once again, only half-aware of the vibrant colours buzzing past in his peripheral vision. Driving the Maybach in Seoul often felt like flying, like he had transformed into a great panther, prowling through the undergrowth of an urban jungle.

Time flew by as Taehyung kept his eyes on the road. Jungkook's conversation on the phone faded into white noise, like the purr of the Maybach's engine as they approached their destination.

The car pulled to a swift halt outside a towering glass building. It looked more like a hotel than a residential building. Everything was concrete and glass, bare and raw. All sharp angles and lack of ornamental architecture, a vision of rich modernity that was so unlike Taehyung's personal taste.

Jungkook leapt out of the car before Taehyung had even turned off the engine. The passenger door slammed shut, and Jungkook rushed to the front door, his blazer flowing behind him like wings. Taehyung opened his door, calling out, but Jungkook didn't look back.

Taehyung sat there in astonishment, his arms dangling by his side. Part of him longed to demand an explanation from the younger, but Jungkook had already disappeared into the building.

He glanced at the Maybach, and then back at the building, torn, before sighing and deciding to head back home. As he pulled away from the building, the faint annoyance he felt at being abandoned without any explanation began to boil over into full-blown frustration.

Jungkook really knew how to get on his nerves.

jjk - 22 - present

Jungkook's heart was hammering, pulsing in his ears with an uneven beat. It drowned out the elevator's speaker, announcing the arrival of each level with a calm robotic voice.

Each second seemed to drag out into minutes, and his mind flashed through a million different possible scenarios at once, each one worse than the last.