Chapter 6 : Colors

Jane had been wandering for days in the streets of this new town. As her home was destroyed, she had nowhere to go now. She didn't mind, with her identification tag, she could go where she wanted. A hotel offered her a room to stay. She stayed a few days before continuing her road, not feeling okay in a closed place. And she didn't have to follow orders anymore, so why not enjoying? The problem was that she had no idea of what to do now.

But she saw some lights coming from a building. She walked to it, took the stairs, and arrived under the building. There was a loud music which was covering the loud hubbub of the conversations with difficulties. There were girls sensually dancing on a scene with a pole on the top left corner, and a bar on the right. She didn't know where she was, but it was warm, she didn't need more. She walked through the crowd, not understanding what was happening. Near the bar, she decided to sit on the bar stool. The girl on the other side placed a drink in front of the brunette.

- "What is it?" Jane asked.

- "A welcome drink. Our boss asked us to give one every time a military was entering," the blonde girl explained.

- "You guessed I was a military?"

- "Um, yeah, I mean...you're wearing a military outfit and you have an identification tag around your neck."

- "Yeah, I don't have other clothes."

The bartender sadly pouted before cleaning another glass. Jane leaned forward to be at the same level of her drink. Behind her mask, a smile grew on her face. She was wondering how it was possible for the colors not to mix. It was fascinating.

- "How are you gonna drink?"

Jane stopped looking at her glass and turned to the person sitting next to her. It was a young and brown-skinned woman, around her age, with long purple braids.

- "I mean, with your mask."

- "I like my mask," Jane said.

- "Um, it's a skull."

- "Yes."

- "Okay. But how are you gonna drink it?"

- "Like I usually drink."

The purple-haired woman frowned before drinking a sip of her beer. Jane leaned again to look at the colors when the girl next to her slid a picture on the bar.

- "Hey! It's Mehdi!" Jane exclaimed.

- "You know him!?" the bartender quickly asked.

- "He is my friend."

- "How is he!? Is he still alive!?"

- "Last time I saw him, he was. He is nice."

- "When was the last time you saw him?" the girl next to Jane asked.

- "I don't remember."

- "War was over?"

- "War is over!?"

The two other girls frowned at each other, completely lost. Jane understood what she just said and felt stupid.

- "Sorry. My memory is fucked up. I've a piece of metal in my head."

- "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," the bartender said. "You're one of the most respectful militaries I've met."

- "I like the colors," Jane smiled.

The bartender softly smiled before returning to her work. Jane was focusing on her drink when someone jumped on her before sitting next to her.

- "Jane! Where have you been? I was worried for you. Are you okay?" Max asked, a beer in her hand.