Prologue

And, suddenly, the past mattered.

Since I met her, I knew love was above all. She was never a princess to me, she was always just Anna. My spectacular Anna. Even as she proclaimed her love for another man, I couldn't help but see the incredible woman who had appeared before my eyes. She was that brave and generous woman who tried to hide the inner tremendous tenderness gave off with a guise of a demanding princess that she, of course, couldn't maintain.

I didn't care the difference in social status, and little cared to my heart that she couldn't be mine; little care my own life when hers was at stake, and I didn't care for the looks of others when I could finally feel her sweet and passionate lips meet mine.

I always knew we were made for each other, and that work, body odor, or strange companies weren't something that could interfere with it. We enjoyed each other's company, each word, each silence, each caress, each look, and each kiss.

Then, without seeing it coming, from one day to the next, she was crowned queen just after agreeing to be my wife and, therefore, someday soon, I would become king. And despite the intimidating of the idea and all that I had to learn in the shortest time possible, I knew it would be worth it because our love goes beyond all that. Nothing knocks it down, nothing oppresses it, nothing and no one can end it.

Or so I believed until then. No, I still believe that today. But, if so, if I have always loved her with all my being... Why had I pushed her away from me? Why couldn't I find her? Why was she no longer there?