Chapter 9

The next morning, a little later than expected due to lack of sleep, we set off in the direction of the Valley of the Living Rock.

After several stops in which we took the opportunity to cover Sven (who didn't seem to understand what that was about but enjoyed it anyway) with pampering, carrots, and thanks, we arrived at the valley almost nightfall.

"Kristoff and Anna! Kristoff and Anna!"

The little ones began to roll between us and jump on top of me while the adults swirled around us.

"My baby is home!" Bulda exclaimed hugging my legs. "How are you, sweeties? Is he nice to you, Anna? If he doesn't behave, talk to me, darling."

"Oh no. He's being wonderful, as always."

I felt a pang in my chest as I heard Anna praising me after I had failed her like I felt I did.

"It seems that you guys are just as fine as always..."

"What brings you here, son?" Grand Pabbie asked appearing out of nowhere. "I got the feeling that you have news for us."

"Well... the truth is that we have a couple of things to talk about with you and, for a change, we need your help, Pabbie," Anna said, as usual, even at easier with my family than me myself.

"Okay. Sit down and let's chatter calmly."

We both followed a troop of trolls led by Grand Pabbie to a clearing with a fallen log where they seemed to think we would be more comfortable than sitting on the ground. There we settled as best we could and the trolls sat around us, Bulda next to me, Grand Pabbie in front of us, the little ones in the log too, and Sven lying behind enjoying Cliff's petting.

"Grand Pabbie..." It was difficult to start. "Anna and I have been to the Ahtohallan and have discovered Sven is some kind of forest spirit or something like that."

"Was that what you wanted to talk about?"

"About that too."

"Okay, let's start where you want. Please continue."

"With what? I was expecting some kind of reaction, you know... a 'How interesting' or an 'I already knew it' or something."

"The truth, Kristoff, is I knew it, we all did. And honestly, I thought you knew it too."

"Why should I?"

"Because when you came to our family, he was already with you."

"I... I don't remember when I met him. Well, now I do cause I've seen it, but I don't keep the memory of it as a child. Apparently, I fell out of a tree and lost my memory."

"Something painful to erase?"

"Quite painful, I think."

Anna squeezed my hand firmly until Bulda threw herself into my arms.

"My little child, you've met your family, isn't it?"

"Yes, ma. My human mother," I nuanced so as not to hurt the feelings of my other mother. "she was the one who more or less summoned Sven."

"A woman of pure spirit, then," she replied with a sad smile.

"They both seemed that way."

Everyone seemed to understand why I was using the past tense and there was a pained silence that surprisingly made me feel warmly covered.

"Grand Pabbie," I said breaking the silence with my concern. "What will be of Sven when I'm gone? If he's a spirit, will he live forever? Will he be left alone?"

"Kristoff, son. Sven was born to share his life with you, to wrap you up and protect you; to you and your purest desires. When you leave this world, he will continue to live in it until his mission is fulfilled, that is, he will probably also protect your children." I winced in guilt knowing that moment would never come. "The moment there won't be a reason to stay here, he will go to meet you again, don't hesitate. His bond with you is much more powerful than the one that binds him to the forest."

I was deeply relieved to know my friend would always be with me and that he wouldn't wander alone for eternity. At least, something was going well.

"Thank you, Pabbie. Now I feel better. However, the main reason we've come is not that. In fact, we have discovered more about my family than we expected."

"Uh-huh..." Pabbie said, nodding with a hint of a smile that totally baffled me.

"We've... we have discovered that Anna and I are..." Here we go. "cousins."

My face turned a bit dark as Pabbie's lost its smile to reflect absolute surprise.

"Oh, how interesting..." the old troll said then with a tone that seemed to mix sincerity and mockery.

"Now he reacts?" Anna complained at Big Pabbie's overdue answer.

"So what, sweeties? Bulda said holding both our faces with her rough and porous hands. " Where is the problem? We are all family. That has nothing to do with love."

"Ma... it's not that easy. Anna and I love each other, and we're not going to getting apart, but..." Out of the corner of my eye, I could sense Anna's smile. "We humans are not like trolls. If we have children among close relatives, it's very likely that they will be born sick or... well, or worse."

"Hm..." To my surprise, this time it was Grand Pabbie who looked puzzled. "And what do you want from me?"

"Grand Pabbie," Anna said approaching him and taking his hand. "If it is in your power, we want you to help me not to be able to get pregnant."

The trolls' eyes widened and Bulda looked at me as if expecting me to tell her she was joking, with a mixture of pity and fear in her eyes, but, for once in her life, she didn't say a word.

"Anna, Kristoff... I can't do what you ask of me."

"Don't you know how to do it, Pabbie?"

"Oh yeah, of course I know how to do it. It is not complicated at all. But it is too late for it."

"Why?" Anna asked. "Is there an age limit or something?"

"No, Anna, that's not why. It is because there is already a life growing within you."