Chapter 15

"Mommy, why do grandparents live so far away?"

"I guess is there where they feel most comfortable, Eir, honey, I don't know."

"And why do we live so close to the town?"

"So that I can attend properly my work and have time to come home and be with you too."

"And so why don't we live in the town like Kai?"

"Because both your father and I liked the idea of living in the mountains better. Don't you like it?"

"Yeah. Daddy teaches me a lot of cool things every day."

"I know, honey. It's fun to be with him, right?"

While Anna and Eir talked about the things the little girl was learning about the forest, I was busy packing some luggage to be well prepared for whatever might arise on the way to the Valley of the Living Rocks. You didn't know what to expect when you're traveling with a snowman, a three-year-old girl, and a pregnant woman.

"I'm back!" exclaimed Olaf bursting outrageously into the cabin. "I'm ready to tell you a lot of new trivia on the way!"

"Oh, God... Olaf..." I half-growled, knowing what was coming.

"Olaf... I'm nauseous and exhausted," Anna said weariness in her voice, "a trip in silence would be a little more bearable..."

"Why are you nauseous, Mommy?"

"Well, we think it could be your future little brother or sister in my belly," She said looking at me with concern for the health of our second and unexpected baby painted all over her face.

Despite the fact that with Eir she hadn't had symptoms, with this possible pregnancy she was having them all, and that made us fear that something wasn't going well.

"A little brother or sister?! Really?!" Eir replied terribly excited.

"Could be. It's what we want to hear from your... great-grandfather?"

I slowly approached my wonderful daughter and crouched in front of her.

"We want Grand Pabbie to tell us if the baby is healthy. But the trip is going to be difficult for Mom, so we have to take good care of her, okay?"

"Sure! I'll keep Olaf entertained!"

We all laughed at the occurrence of the little girl until terrible retching from Anna changed the atmosphere. Eir approached her mother and tugged on her arm, making her crouch down on her knees before her. Then, she put her hands tenderly on Anna's belly and closed her eyes.

"The babies are healthy."

"Wait, what?" Anna and I answered all at once.

Eir didn't reply. She just kissed her mother's belly, and as she did it, a greenish light enveloped Anna for a few seconds. We remained completely frozen.

"It won't bother you anymore, mommy. You'll see."

"Tha... thank you."

I searched Anna's eyes and found in them the confirmation that her nausea and fatigue had completely disappeared. Anna hugged our daughter, scooped her up in her arms, and bathed her in kisses while Eir laughed out loud.

"Well played, Eir," Olaf interrupted. "Now I will be able to delight you all the way with all the curious facts that I've learned in the last months."

Whether it was possible to be happier, I certainly couldn't imagine how. I approached them, clasped them eagerly in my arms, and delighted in their essence; in the familiar smell of hay, cookies, and chocolate that gave meaning to my life. And I laughed, and cried, and kept laughing, surrounded by love and joy. Surrounded by my family.