Phone Call

The Sunday before I got to see Sam was torture, for I knew I'd get to see him the next day. I'd just gotten back to Boston a few days ago, and it seemed empty without Sam. To pass the time, I decided to go to the store and pick up some groceries.

On my way there, I listened to Sam's EP. Gosh, how I miss him.

As I was almost ready to get out of the car, and head into the grocery store, I got a call, and the caller ID was "Sam ❤️". I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear, and pick it up immediately.

"Sam! Gosh, I miss you very much. How's Florida?" I spoke excitedly into my phone.
I was expecting Sam to reply with something like "Hey Babe." And then go on from there. The reply shocked me..

"Is this Kelly?" A voice said. It didn't sound like Sam..

"Y-yes. Who is this?" I replied nervous and anxious.

"Oh. This is Sam's grandpa, Roy Woolf." The voice replied.

"Oh. Hello. Is Sam okay?" I began to worry.

"Well Kelly, here's the thing..." Roy said, and then trailed off.

At this point I began to cry because I was so scared.

"Sam has gotten into a car crash, he's currently in a coma. We're not sure if he's gonna make it."

As soon as I heard the words 'if he's gonna make it' I dropped my phone and began to cry. All I wanted right now was to be with Sam, and be held by him again. I didn't know if that would ever happen again.

"Kelly? Kelly? Are you still there?" Papa Roy said through the phone.

"Y-yes... Yes... I am." I said between sobs.

"I just want you to know, as soon as Sam came to Florida, he seemed the happiest I've seen him in years. And when I asked him why he was so happy, he told me it was because of you. You, Kelly, made him happy. So as soon as I heard that Sam had gotten in a car crash, I knew I needed to find your number, luckily it was easy to find on Sam's phone." Papa Roy said, in almost a comforting tone.

I quickly smiled while listening to him speak, but then I began to cry again. Somehow, I managed to ask "Well, what hospital is he in? I'd like to come see him." That might have been the stupidest decision in my life.. It's no fun seeing people so lifeless.

"He's at Florida Hospital. It's really hard to see Sam like this. But just know, his grandma and I are here for you." At this point, I could even hear signs of sobs from Papa roy through the phone.

"Thank you. I'll see if I can get on a flight today." I said, almost hopeful.

"Alright Kelly. On the bright side, I look forward to meeting the girl Sam talked so much about." Papa Roy said, and then we said "goodbye" and hung up.

At this point, groceries were the last thing on my mind. I pulled up information on flights from Boston to Orlando on my phone. Luckily, there was a flight taking off in a few hours, at 5:00 p.m. So I registered to fly standby and hoped and prayed there was one seat available.

~~~~~~~
I drove back to my dorm room, ran to my room, found my carry on, and shoved a few outfits quickly into my carry on, along with my hygiene and makeup essentials. I hopped back in my car, and drove to the airport, quickly, but carefully.
~~~~~~~
Luckily, security and everything was quick that day. I ran to the gate, and asked the gate agent if there were any seats still available.

"There is one seat still available. Everyone has already finished boarding. Go on, grab the last seat." The gate agent replied.

"Thank goodness. Thank you!" I said while catching my breath, and then hurrying into the plane. I took my seat, and the plane took off soon after that.
~~~~~~~
The flight went by surprisingly quick, and before I knew it, I was stepping off the plane and I was in Florida. It was nice to feel the warm, humid air again, and see the places I remembered from my childhood.

In the middle of all the happiness, the realization of why I was here quickly hit me. I was here to see Sam, and that surely was not going to be easy.

~~~~~~
I honestly almost started crying while writing this chapter..
What do you think will happen when Kelly gets to the hospital?

Please vote and comment!

Stay raw!
IG: @sail_away_sam
Twitter: @sail_away_sam