Sixty One

"Oi Haibara?! Answer me Haibara! Damn it!" said Shinichi as he slams the table in frustration. He throws his earphone away as it lands onto the ground, break into pieces. He's been trying to contact her after her signal was lost for about half an hour already.

He is currently at their base with the other agent as well as Jodie sensei and his parents. As he's about to run to the door and find Haibara on the battlefield but someone grabs his hand from behind.

"There's no use to go there again, you'll get yourself killed" said Akai. The others move their gaze to look at those two.

"There's still hope Akai san! I can't leave her like that. She needs our help. I can let the organization have her. She can't be killed by those people. I don't want any of that to happen!" said Shinichi- furious.

To him, she's someone that he really cares about. He promises to take care of her no matter what happens. He doesn't want to break his promises to her.

"Do you think you really can save her under these circumstances? Do you really want to risk your life? What if you fail?" he said- stating the fact. Shinichi is in rage after hearing his reply.

"I promised to take care of her Akai san. Don't you promise her and her sister as well? You're going to make the same mistake twice? You disappoint me" he said as he pulls his hand off him. The air around them getting intense. None of them dares to interfere as they stand there with shock.

Shinichi's words manage to make Akai shut his mouth. What Shinichi said is right after all.

"Shin-chan calm down okay. We will find her soon" said Yukiko as she slowly approaches her only son- if anyone ever dare to calm Shinichi down, it's her. Shinichi keeps his silence as he shifts his sight to another place. He did felt guilty about what he said to Akai. He didn't mean it. Rage took over him and make him bring up that sensitive situation on him.

But still, he needs to find Haibara. A slight pause fills the air before the high school detective speaks.

"I-I'm sorry, I need time alone" said Shinichi as he leaves the room. Akai still stands there for a moment. What Shinichi just said did hit him hard. A pang of guilt quickly fills him after he heard Shinichi's remarks.

"Excuse me" said Akai as he slowly walks out of the room and takes out his cigarette. Akai stares at the sky as he smokes.

"I'm sorry Akemi" he said slowly. He failed to protect her little sister. He doesn't even know where Shiho whereabout. He failed to keep his promise. Guilty take over him. If he didn't let her participate in the very first place she should be here, with them.

Akai takes out another cigarette as he keeps staring at the sky. He is such a failure. He fails Akemi. He wishes he could find her soon. For some reason, he still believes Shiho is still alive. He'll find her soon enough and he's not planning to stop.

Shinichi on the other hand isolates himself in one of the empty rooms. His head is such a mess. He is mad. He is mad both with himself and Haibara. He is mad with himself because he couldn't make her feel safe. He did promise to take care of her yet he failed. He also never listen to what she said and even listen to her genuine opinion and feelings.

At the same time, he is mad at her, he mad because she's being stubborn all the time. When the moment she decides to leave all of them, he couldn't contain his anger. He tried to find her too back then, but he failed. That stubborn woman couldn't even at least listen to what he said.

If he is able to stop her, she shouldn't be missing in the very first place.

He actually knew Hakase has been contacting her all the time. But Hakase just won't tell him anything. He tried to ask him about Haibara's whereabout but he never got any reply from him. Once again he sighs in frustration. Next time he'll try to force Hakase to spit everything to him since Haibara is missing.