Chapter 1

I Fell In love with a Nerd // Jenlisa

Author: A.J

Jennie POV

"Jendeuk! Happy Birthday!"

I spun around, surprised to find Jisoo standing there with a cake, a bright smile lighting up her face. I quickly rose from my seat and walked over to her.

"You surprised me! I thought you forgot it was my birthday today," I teased, feigning annoyance, and we both chuckled.

Jisoo has been my best friend since childhood. Our mothers made a vow to each other, before we were born, we'd be inseparable friends—more like sisters. From our early days, we've always been together, and even now, despite having jobs and grown-up responsibilities, we remain togethet.

"Forget? How could I, when we used to bathe together" she playfully reminisced, before I quickly covered her mouth, glancing around.

"Oh my goodness, Jisoo, we're at the office! Keep it down," I scolded in a hushed tone, still trying to stifle her laughter. She gently removed my hand.

"Come on, we're best friends, what's the harm?" she protested innocently. I shot her a pointed look.

"Even so, this is not the place for such stories. Someone might overhear," I admonished, earning an eye roll from her.

"Fine, fine, I'll stop. Now, blow out your candle before our grumpy boss comes back," she whispered mischievously, gesturing at the candle-lit cake.

I chuckled, closing my eyes briefly to make a wish. Curious about my wish? Well, I can't reveal it—wouldn't want to jinx it.

I opened my eyes, blew out the candle, and grinned.

"Yay! Happy 24th birthday, Jendeukie!" Jisoo cheered, her eyes sparkling with joy.

"Thank you, Jichu," I replied softly, touched by her thoughtfulness.

"Happy birthday, Jennie!"

"Happy birthday!"

"Happy birthday!"

I exchanged wide smiles with my colleagues as they wished me, adjusting my glasses nervously.

"Thank you, everyone," I murmured shyly, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the attention.

Jisoo placed the cake on my desk and draped her arm around my shoulders.

"Alright, since it's my best friend's birthday, drinks are on me tonight!" Jisoo announced, raising her hand as our coworkers cheered in agreement.

"What?!" I exclaimed, caught off guard.

"We're hitting the club later," she whispered conspiratorially.

I frowned. She should know me better than that—I'm not exactly a social person, and I definitely don't do clubs. Oh, Jisoo.

"No, Jisoo, you know I'm not into that scene," I sighed, disappointment clear in my voice as I sat back down.

"Come on, Jendeukie! Just this once, be normal!" she pleaded, giving me puppy-dog eyes. As much as I adored her, a club wasn't my idea of a celebration.

I shook my head firmly, gesturing a firm 'no' in front of her face.

"I have a ton of work to finish tonight, Chu," I sighed, a sudden idea popping into my head. "But how about this? Once I'm done with my tasks, I'll treat you to dinner at our favorite restaurant." I grinned, raising an eyebrow.

"Boring," she deadpanned, her attention already drifting back to her work.

I chuckled softly, shaking my head. Jisoo was always the life of the party, effortlessly navigating any social situation. Despite growing up together, our personalities are different—I'm the quiet, boring one, and I'm okay with that. Jisoo, on the other hand, is outgoing and assertive. Our occasional disagreements often revolved around her invitations to parties; I never had much of a taste for them, thanks to a touch of social anxiety.